Tuesday, November 1, 2011

19 Days: Let the Freakout Commence

Today marks only 19 days until JFK 50-miler (and lucky for you, only 19 more days of you having to listen to me ramble on and on about it). It was a race I signed up for way back in July, but had planning on doing (if I got in) since the previous summer. So it's weird that a race which once seemed worlds away is now just around the corner. And, since JFK 50 is rapidly approaching it's about time for the unofficial freak out to begin.  The "official" freak out will probably happen two weeks out and build in strength until race day. 

Usually for me, the longer the race, the bigger the freak out. I remember feeling this way in the weeks leading up to Ironman C'ouer D'Alene - I had the inability to focus on anything but the race. It consumed me. I started to have similar feelings about JFK this week, not only about the race itself but about all of the logistics involved. I need to make an boarding reservations for the dogs. I need to confirm our hotel in Hagerstown. I need to double check our air fare. I need to figure out where crew can be on the race course, and how they are going to get from point to point to see me. I need to have a back up plan if for some unforseen reason they get lost (not uncommon for parents) and don't make it to the discussed checkpoints to see me. I need to figure out if I am going to change shoes after the AT portion. I need to figure out what I'm going to wear. I need to figure out what nutrition I will carry with me. I need to figure out where we should eat Friday night before the race, and how we get to Boonsboro Saturday morning.

And, THEN throw in pre-race jitters regarding the race itself, and well, I am a bundle of nerves. I think part of my 'freak out' is attributed to the enormity of realizing my 50 miler is only 19 days away and also the accumulated level of fatigue I've got from months of training. Anxiety also comes from the fact that, similar to Ironman, you almost never replicate this type of race in training (nor should you). Most people run between 30-35 miles max for their long run in preparation for this type of event, leaving much to the unknown come race day. I need to remind myself that you can only prepare your body, physically, to a certain point. The rest is all mental. I need to remember that the power of the human mind is incredible and it will tell your body to do whatever you want it to do.

Most importantly, there are two categories of things in the 50-miler that will dictate how my day goes.
1. What you can control.
2. What you can’t control

Most important then becomes how I choose to react to it.

My goals over the next 19 days are this.

1) Don't sweat the small stuff. They will work themselves out.

2) Get through the workouts and, as my mother always said, just do my best. Even if I'm feeling tired, know that it will subside and get better. Anybody can have great workouts when they’re feeling good – it takes no talent. But the great ones hit their workouts because they’re mentally strong and get it done when they’re not feeling their best. 

3) Focus on my recovery and whatever I can do to feel “less fatigued.” Sleep as much as I can, drink lots of water, be buddies with my foam roller, eat lots fruits and veggies and not so much junk, stretch after workouts, and when it is time to relax – relax! Try to unwind as best I can. Avoid any unnecessary stress.   

One other side note on this but worth mentioning – I’m very lucky to have a husband who is honest with me and does not enable my self-pitying behavior. I am thankful for this. Usually it happens when we’re sitting around and I’m complaining about how tired I am, how badly my legs hurt, or how long I had to train that day. He will throw it back in my face and say “You’re choosing to do this, aren’t you?” And yes, I am. No one is holding a gun to my head. Don’t get me wrong, my husband is very supportive, but he keeps me in check as well. And remembering that I’m training for a race by choice helps me to maintain more of a “suck it up” attitude and get done what needs to be done. And for as bad as it hurts and as tired as I may be now, I know I'll miss it – I guarantee it.

I'll close with a very appropriate quote ...
"Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone." - Ken Chlouber (Creator of the Leadville Trail 100)

6 comments:

  1. Does your husband talk to mine? Geez, I thought I was only one getting tough love at home. When I limp around after a hard race, he's like "This is a really fun hobby you have, huh?"

    I'm also freaking out. I do know I'm going to change out of my trail shoes after the AT portion to my road shoes, that's the only part I've figured out. Also, I plan on eating lots of M&Ms for my nutrition on race day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll be ready come race day but I can imagine it is nervewracking!. Not sure how familiar you are with the area but if you have any logistical questions, feel free to ask me (e-mail on profile!). I know the area, and the course and should be there acting as support crew for a few friends as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kara - I thought my husband was just one of a kind - good to know there is another one of them out there. :) I'm leaning towards changing out of my trail shoes as well - my roads shoes are much more comfortable. Nice call on the M&M's :)

    @Abbi - thank you so much! I'll definitely be emailing you. I would love some advice on where the best place for spectators to go and how easy it is for them to get around. My parents currently live in Northern Virginia, but I don't think they are very familiar with the Hagerstown/Boonsboro area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure why I am not freaking out yet. That so not like me. I haven't figured out all the details, but I know I will switch from trail shoes to my road shoes after the AT. I think I am going to rely on gels (GU Roctanes), gatorade and may drink an EAS shake somewhere along the way for fuel. I haven't been practicing with solid foods - but may pick up some pretzels at aid stations. Big maybe. I don't want to cramp up. You have seen the spectator directions on the website, right? Also....did you see this video? Kinda neat:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C642ZyUSc7M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nerve wracking! The next few weeks will I am sure go by super slow too!

    Sounds like you have a good plan though about eating well, resting, etc... I really am SO excited for you...and I admit a little envious...in a good way though! I think it's going to be an amazing race for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep in mind a cousin will be there too. I don't get lost as easily (and I use my gps and internet well...on my phone). I am willing to help however I can...other than being a spectator who is GET excited and impressed to see you doing this.

    ReplyDelete