Monday, November 21, 2011

Running a 50 Miler: Lessons Learned

Running a 50-mile race was a first for me. While I had an idea of what it might be like, a lot would be left to the unknown on race day. So, really, I had no idea. Here are a few glaring lessons learned:
  • I planned to actually run the entire 50 miles. Like without any walk breaks. Or breaks at all besides a quick change of shoes. Running 50 miles continuously is harder than I thought. Like damn near impossible. While I did run the majority of the race, I had to take a few walks breaks. A wise person had told me to try walk the aid stations. While I eventually did later in the race, I should have heeded this advice earlier. I learned there is no shame in walking.
  • Running on the Appalachian Trail took A LOT more out of me than I could have ever expected. I thought I was going to get off the trail portion and start running 8 minute miles like it ain't no thang. Yeah...easier said than done.
  • The Applachian Trail portion was a lot harder than I expected. We literally climbed a mountain. Climbed and climbed. I have run some gnarly hills in Texas, but nothing compared to what I ran on Saturday.  In retrospect, I should have done some more trail running in training, although I don't know where I could have found trails like that in Texas.
  • Next time I decide to do a 50-miler, I won't run a hard marathon the weekend before hand. While my legs felt good and pretty much fully recovered going into JFK, I also didn't realize what kind of reserve I would need to get through a 50 miler.
  • I made a bad decision with shoes. I wore my trail shoes for the technical trail portion (first 15.5 miles) and then changed into my marathon racing shoes, which are a pair of light weight flats - Brooks Pure Flow, similar to the Brooks Launch, only a tad bit lighter. While these shoes are fine for the marathon distance, they were not fine for 35 miles of running. I needed something with a little more cushion. My feet were literally on fire from about Mile 30 on. A change into thicker socks at mile 39 helped a little, but I have never felt such a burning sensation in my feet before as I did during this race.
  • Drink even when you aren't thirsty. I did not carry water with me throughout the race, and decided to rely on the aid stations for water. And even then, early on, I was just grabbing a cup on the run and making getting a few sips out of it. Even though it wasn't hot, I wasn't taking in enough fluids and really started to feel thirsty those last 12 miles. It seemed like an eternity to get from one aid station to the next. I never had to use the bathroom during the race (and never had to until several hours after the race). Definitely a sign that I was low on fluids.
  • After almost 8 hours of running, primarily relying on GU alone for fuel, you'll never want to see GU again in your life. Never either.

6 comments:

  1. If you decide to do this again, you will just have to visit MD more often for the trails. We are no Rocky Mountains, but we are still a mountain.

    You did an awesome job. I think every time you do something you learn something from it...especially the first time. Great lessons learned. Great race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also never want to see a Gu again :)

    I had my water pack, so I stayed hydrated (and even had to pee twice!) and I learned a long time ago that there is no shame in walking.

    I think you did such a great job on this race, I only wish I had been able to see you run by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really impressive Erin - the lessons learned are great points, tough to really know some of those in advance except maybe the idea of running a marathon the week before the event. The fact that you could do that and still come in under 8 hours makes you Wonder Woman, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing performance Erin. To do that after running a marathon boggles my mind. You are an incredible athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate your kind words. Now that my pain has subsided a little, I can start to think about maybe doing another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you want to do another one?
    I think you did really good...and it takes courage and A LOT of determination to even attempt a race of this length! I was SO excited for you and loved reading the updates. (I was living vicariously through you :) )
    Really a HUGE congratulations from me for doing it in the first place...but WOW you finished 10th!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete