Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Final Thoughts Headed into JFK

  • I am ready to do this. I'm ready to get on the plane and go. Sitting around waiting is turning me into an emotional mess. I have broken down in tears a few times for no apparent reason. Embarrassing. I need to pull myself together. I've also developed a bit of a cold, so I will be heading home early today (I'm worthless at work anyways) to R-E-S-T and drug up with Dayquil.

  • I have revived my Twitter account so that Dan can tweet my progress throughout the race in case you wish to follow along. Twitter updates will auto-feed to my blog (on the right), or you can follow me on Twitter @ErinRuyle. However, Dan has never used Twitter, so we are not sure how this is going to go. Twitter updates will also be dependent on internet access in the boondocks and how many beers he's had.

  • My priorities are to enjoy the event, the course and the ultra-camaraderie, but I also have a sneaky outside goal of breaking 8 hours. Probably a bit ambitious with it being my first 50 miler, but what the heck, eh? I almost chose to not go public with the goal as I didn’t want this race to turn into a “pressure event” – but people have been asking, so I'll be honest. There ya go.

  • Another goal of mine is to not get hung up on my pace on the Appalachian Trail portion. The race is not won on the Appalachian Trail, so I must stay within my means. I am not a strong trail runner, and I know I will lose some ground. I must stay vertical, run my own race and let the chips fall as they may. There is plenty of time to make up lost ground once I get off the AT portion of the race.

  • I need to remember to RELAX. Running 50 miles is a huge accomplishment no matter the time on the clock. People will still love me whether it takes me 8 hours to finish or 12 hours to finish.

  • Don't wait until I'm hungry to eat. I am pretty minimalist when it comes to taking in calories for a marathon - I usually take 2-2.5 gu's for a marathon. This won't work for a 50 miler. 50 miles is a long way. I need to fuel accordingly.

  • Have fun and enjoy every moment. The day will go by quicker than I think, and I will only have one first 50 miler.

2 comments:

  1. Best ultra advice I've ever been given: Eat like a linebacker, drink like a fish and run like a tortoise. Although a tortoise pace for you is still pretty fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will follow your twitter to see how you are doing!

    You know what I always think of while racing? That p90x guy always says "do your best and forget the rest". It's cheesy I know...but so true and really helpful to me when I start to feel pressured when people pass me or I am feeling myself slow down a little.

    I hope you feel better...shitty time to feel like you have a cold! :( REST!

    ReplyDelete