Sunday, November 13, 2011

dearsantonioihateyou andyourweather!

Short recap: Marathon #17 was hot and humid and sunny. And hot (85 degrees) and humid (95% humidity) and sunny. Did I mention, hot and humid?

Not to be dramatic, but I feel like I had to fight every step to finish. This would probably rate as my second hardest marathon, second to Dallas last April.

Weather for the Rock & Roll San Antonio Marathon is always a crap shoot. I always feel bad for those who put all their eggs in a basket to PR or BQ at this race. I've run this race 4 years in a row, and it seems like every other year  we have good weather. Weather in Texas is November is a big ? mark. Those of us who live here are used to it, but it doesn't mean it doesn't suck royally when race day comes and you are faced with craptastic weather.

I told Dan as much as I would like to have good weather for this race to see what I could do, bad weather would actually play to my advantage.

It did today. I finished 6th woman overall in 3:15:44, and first in my age group. I definitely cratered in this race, just not as much as others. There were a lot of people who did not even make it to the finish line. 6th place is my highest finish at a big race, and I am pumped. It hurt. It sucked. It is probably stupid with a 50 miler next weekend, but I am excited.

I'm proud of myself for hanging in there. It got LONELY and it got HOT but I did not give up. I can say, I'm MOST excited about running in cooler temps next week.

Time to rest up and move upward and onward to JFK.
Marathon 17 = doneso.

7 comments:

  1. You are incredible, congrats! I can't imagine trying to run a marathon in weather like that! Now, rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Erin! The weather is looking good for this weekend! You'll probably be freezing in our 50 degree weather! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Erin! I want to say that you are an idiot for pushing this hard with your first 50 next week, but I can't because you just keep crushing every race you enter! I am so impressed with your performance. Next week is gonna be insane when you cross the finish line sub 8!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are nuts to race all out the week before a 50 mile race, but what a great marathon! You might have to finish the JFK in like 8:15 due to that, but it would be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, you did such a great job! And did you say marathon #17!? Wow, Erin, you are super inspiring! You are my hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone - so much - I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know you were doing yet another marathon - once again a terrific performance, now rest up a bit and good luck at JFK!

    ReplyDelete