For those playing along at home, my 50-miler is happening, by the way, in ELEVEN DAYS, in case you’re also counting.
I’ve been thinking of things I need to do. And pack. And do. And eat. And pack to eat. And do to pack. To eat. It’s all very confusing. Preparing yourself for a possible 10+ hours of running is time-consuming.
I drug out my giant suitcase last night and sat there for about 30 minutes trying to decide where to start. I talked to my brother in Columbia, Maryland, and he says weather is nice there this week. In the 60's. I'm thinking that's perfect running weather, so I throw in shorts, arm warmers and some short sleeves shirts. Then, I am reminded that weather up there there is as fickle as it is in Texas and it DID snow and sleet there just 2 weeks ago...so, I throw in several winter running gear options. And, of course they all have to be matched and color coordinated. What? You didn't know running is a fashion show? Before I know it, my suitcase is full with running clothes, and I am getting the evil eye from Dan letting me know I do not need all of this unless I am planning to stay for several months.
THIS IS HARD. So much thinking involved! You’d think running for all those hours would be enough, but then you also have to use your mind to remember all of the OTHER things you need to do for all of that time. What nutritional items should I carry with me? How much can I carry with me? What should I leave with my family? What should I depend on at aid stations? Why won’t someone else do this for me?
I made a list for my family of the things they should remember to have on hand at all times. That list consisted of Clif Shot Bloks, Advil, Peanut Butter M&M's, 'Eye of the Tiger' on demand, pictures of my basset hounds and a good IPA. Clearly my priorities are straight.
I have to consider so many things. Whether to pack fresh socks for part-way through the race, and if so, how far into the race? What to wear. What NOT to wear. What food to carry. What food to pack. How often to eat. How often to drink. Why I signed up for this.
It’s all very confusing.
This is a confusing time for me, friends. Be gentle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I got eye of the tiger for u. And my phone plays eager loudly...what did I do before smart phones? I am currently used to being a pack-mule...wonderful part of having very young ones, so I can carry too.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for this...and I am not even running. It just amazes me.
Good luck with the last 11 days.
Thanks, Lex! I am so very excited to see you guys, and also so very grateful that you are coming out to cheer me on! It really means a lot. :) I promise to treat everyone to a fabulous dinner when I'm done!!
ReplyDeleteThe weather on that day in Boonsboro is usually 54 degrees for the high and 33 for the low (I've done my research).
ReplyDeleteThe aid stations will all have fluids (water/gatorade/soda) for refilling your pack, if you are carrying one. They also have PB&J quarters, bananas and that kind of stuff. You should only need to carry Gu (if you want it) and some fluid since the aid stations are every 4 miles (at least on the canal path/last portion).
I always carry extra socks in a ziplock baggie when I do trail runs. There are no stream crossings in the JFK (so I've been told), so you might not need a sock change at all. I'm planning on changing shoes and socks at about halfway to try to avoid blisters.
When I think about what I'll be doing in 11 days, I feel a little like I'm going to puke :)
Packing would be really hard because the weather can be kind of funny this time of year so I can understand your dilemma. At least most running gear is fairly compact so you should be able to include some extras!
ReplyDeleteI stress about long runs of 14 miles...I can't imagine the preparation for a 50 mile run! Seems like you have some helpful people here with great advice!
ReplyDeleteAnd of course you have to match!!!