Friday, November 18, 2011

BRRRR...

I will not complain about cold weather after running in 100+ degrees temps all summer, but *damn* it's going to be cold in the morning for JFK. The original weather forecast shifted and is now calling for 21 degrees at race start, 32 degrees at 9 am, 47 degrees at Noon and 51 degrees at 3 pm. That is COLD. I am rethinking my original plan of shorts and short sleeves with arm warmers to tights and layers on top. I really do not like wearing tights to race in unless absolutely necessary, and I am trying to figure out if this constitutes absolutely necessary. I tend to warm up pretty quickly and I am a little worried about getting overheated if I wear tights (I know that sounds silly in 40 degree weather). But, I have maybe raced in tights once in Texas as it just doesn't get that cold to worry about this type of thing. Good thing I packed enough for a small army (see Dan told you I needed 3 suitcases for this trip).

What would you do? Tights or no?
Part of my fabulous race crew! Dan, myself, my brother Craig, and sister-in-law Sarah :)

6 comments:

  1. Tights for sure! Do you have a pair of lululemon's Inspire tights? They're a)crops an b) breathe REALLY well. If I stand around wearing them before a run, my bum gets cold. :)

    You can always change out of them, right? Or maybe, tighter shorts under, running pant over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing light weight tights. I have thermal ones, but I think those will be too hot. I have a thin pair and I'm hoping those will be perfect. My husband is bringing me new top layers for the mile 27 spectator point, so I may change my layered tops to a new dry short sleeved top and maybe arm warmers. It's hard because at 3pm, it starts getting cold again. Although, you should be done by then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin - I would absolutely go with lightweight tights with some shorts underneath if you have some tight "booty shorts" - then when it gets up to 38-40, ditch the tights and run comfortable. The key to Saturday should be trying to stay as comfortable as you can the whole way through - two-three hours in tights, the last five in your shorts and you'll be right as rain.

    Enjoy it Erin! Kick some trail out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can do tights over shorts until it gets to 32 degrees, that'd be how I'd go... and definitely something to cover up with at the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can ditch the tights at a rest stop right? And an excuse to buy Lululemon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Go with lightweight tights you can ditch. It won't take very long to strip them off if you have to. Those temps in the morning could cause your legs to seize b/c they won't stay as warm as your core. Stay comfy early by wearing ditchable layers.

    ReplyDelete