- Tomorrow Dan and I are running in the Jameson 5k at Southwestern University. I think I've done this race every year that I have lived in Texas, so that would be 7 years running. It's one of my very favorite races, not only because it's local (literally starts out my back door) but I adore the race organizer (Kendra) and the cause. The race began as a way of as a way of honoring the memory of her brother Jaysn Flynn Jameson and to increase the endowment of the Jaysn Jameson Memorial Scholarship Fund at Southwestern University. Last year I won the race (first female), and so tomorrow I am going to try and defend my title. Of course, you never know who is going to show up on any given day, so my goal is to try to improve my time from last year (19:41). This isn't a PR course, but I am hoping to roll in around 19:35. My friend Mick is also running, so if I can hang close to him then I'll have a good race.
- So, no long run tomorrow. With the 5k tomorrow, I decided to switch some workouts up this week and ran longish (16 miles) on Wednesday instead. Sunday, I'll meet up with the Georgetown Trail Runners for one last trail run before JFK. I really did not trail run near as much as I would have liked to for JFK, but it is what it is.
- A good friend of ours (who also happens to be an incredible athlete and former Olympian but is so humble you'd never know it) happens to know the CEO of the Rock & Roll events and so very kindly garnered me race day VIP status at both the Rock & Roll San Antonio marathon next weekend and the Rock & Roll Phoenix marathon in January. My BIGGEST pet peeve at races is the lack of port-a-pottys available and the long lines that accompany them. It never fails that I have to go to the bathroom at least three times in the span of an hour before the race and there have been very few races where I am not cursing the port-a-potty lines (particularly when spectators are waiting in the lines) and threatening Dan that I am just going to pee in my pants. SO, what I am most excited about is the VIP toilet access that the VIP status gives me. No slumming it for me in the plain old Port-a-Potties. The royal crappers are bigger than the regular ones, in addition to being climate-controlled and having running water. SCORE!!
- I made what Dan hopes will be my final JFK shoe purchase this morning. I will be running in the Brooks Pure Flow for the majority of JFK, but didn't think my current pair could make it through the ropes of that many more miles. So, I decided to play it safe and buy a brand new pair. Don't even ask me to calculate how much money I've spent on running shoes with this training, I cringe even thinking about it.
- I have been in bed before 8:30 pm every single night this week. Sleep does a body good.
Friday, November 4, 2011
Friday Randoms
Happy Friday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Shoes...you have to have shoes! But I agree...running shoes get expensive :( Wish they were cheaper...or they had a better rewards system like buy 3 get one free :)
ReplyDeleteI wish I could run tomorrow's race...too bad that this one in Florence is the same day! I can't wait to see how you do! Tell Mick good luck and happy racing for me!
And that is really cool about Rock n Roll. I am just starting to figure out that it's hard to find a place to go to the bathroom at a race...and I hate standing in a long line! You will have to take a quick pic of the VIP bathrooms and share it.
(Sorry for long reply here)
You know I would bring Sookie to group...she just couldn't keep up with me. Big dogs are LAZY! She goes running with Sean but 2 miles is a long way for her and she's tired after that! One of these races coming up in Georgetown I will have Sean bring her. She's a sweet dog, and would probably love your dogs!
I didn't leave work before 8 most days this week. Tack on an hour drive home, I am one tired girl. Planning on running tomorrow though. Hopefully no sleet this time.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your race!