Saturday, November 26, 2011

Recovery (sucks)

I'm glad it's a holiday weekend and laziness is generally accepted, because recovery is awful. This week has been fairly brutal for me. Even though my legs are feeling better, there is no pep. They just don't want to move. On Wednesday, my joints felt 100% so I ran an easy 6. I figured it'd be good to warm them up and stretch them out.

On Thursday, I thought I could go for a run with our running group - it was after all a Thanksgiving run get together with our run group friends. I couldn't miss it. So, I joined everyone for a run. Nope. Nothing. I did finish the run but my legs felt horrible the entire time. I decided that I needed more time for recovery. Running is just too much of an effort right now.

The weather today: breezy, with a few clouds, and 60 degrees. Perfect running weather. The only thing I want to do is go out and run, but I'm sitting on the couch, Christmas shopping on-line. Christmas shopping needs to be done, so I guess it's fine.

It looks like I probably have more of the same at least for the next week. My legs just aren't ready to run. I've never been this wrecked after a race, but I'm trying to accept it. I've been pushing and pushing and pushing myself for months. Eventually, it was going to catch up with me.

But, here's my next question. The question of the day (well the last week since I have not been working out) is...

"What do people do after work?" (Obviously directed to people who do not exercise/train/yadda yadda)

Responses have ranged from, "watching tv" to "work around the house".

Well, I'm freaking bored.

Not that I necessarily want to jump full force back into training, but I have pretty much covered all the basis since I haven't been working out.

Drinking.
Shopping.
Eating.
Sleeping.
Watching tv.

Repeat the above.

Yup.

What else is there?
Yesterday, we went to Baby A's to watch football, eat junk and have a few drinks. Today, we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for more of the same. So yeah that's what I have been up to. Tonight...hmmm what to do what to do? Catch up on Real World and Millionaire Matchmaker with a large pizza ordered in. Tomorrow? Go to the Public Library. Then Shop. Then got out to dinner. Stop by Galaxy and get a cupcake?

Yup, I could NOT imagine living this sort of lifestyle for more than 2 weeks. I would go INSANE! 

6 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. The "cold" that I got after the race was really an upper respiratory infection that moved to my lungs and I had a fun trip to urgent care and now I have breathing treatments to do and I can't run until Monday. Even then, I don't know how I'm going to feel.

    All of this is making me reconsider running another 50, but I know I still will.

    I feel the same boredom. How do people live without running?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using my extra down time from my foot issue (not that I have the 'I ran 50 miles' legitimate reason) to de-clutter the house. We might not have anything left after I finish. Hope with a few more days you'll be back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I sorta workout, but not as much. Your mom would LOVE me to tell you that I take care/play with my girls. It is actually why I have issues running more often. But now let me think in your shoes. I would read, watch tv, bake/cook, walk. I have to agree. I may not be the powerhouse that you are, but I guess I am not as lazy as I normally think. Right now, baking might be in the lead. But I haven't realky been reading much either. Hmmm...tough decission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. **I should edit this post to say people without kids. :)

    @Kara - I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make a new calendar for your mom for Christmas.Figure out the next time you might come home so Mom has something to look forward to. Decorate for Christmas.Hope you can run soon. I know this is driving you crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate not running...I too get really bored and really antsy. And eating seems like the only thing to do :) You will be back out there soon!

    ReplyDelete