- First - I was saddened to learn last evening that there was a death at yesterday's marathon. This is incredibly sad, and my heart goes out to his family and friends. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Death-at-finish-mars-Rock-n-Roll-Marathon-2267681.php
- Second - I wanted to give a shout out to my husband who ran the half marathon yesterday. He's been having knee problems and not been able to train much - his longest run was 6 miles going into the race yesterday. Add crappy weather, and it was a tough day for him, but he got it done!! I'm very proud of him. Way to go, Dan!!
I didn't really have a game plan for the day other than to run at a pace that was slightly uncomfortable, but maintainable for as long as possible. I had an idea of what that pace would be, but decided to let my body set the pace. The pace turned out to be around 7:18-7:19 minute miles. I was able to stay on pace for the first 13 miles but then the sun came out full force. Around mile 14, I was very hot and thirsty and I started to pull back a bit just trying to conserve any energy I had left. I can describe the second half of this race in 2 words: hot and lonely. After the half marathoners split off, everyone was really spread out. We looked like ants in a death march to the finish. I had slowed down to a 7:21 average pace by Mile 18. I was slowing down but still passing people and wasn't getting passed. I tried to use that to cheer me up as my slipping pace was only making me frustrated. And, damn, the sun was blazing like a son of a bitch.
I ran the last 7 miles in near solitude. I am gulping water at the aid stations as thirst overcomes me and pouring water over my head for some relief. Around Mile 21, I see a friendly face who tells me I'm either 5th of 6th woman. That perks me up. I had no idea where I stood among women. Another girl and I were leap frogging for awhile, but I passed her at Mile 20 and other than that there had just been dudes in my line of sight. I get excited after hearing this and run Mile 21 in like 7:15. Bad idea. The last 4 miles kicked my butt. I was fighting for every step. The heat was making me lightheaded. 7:45 miles were all I could maintain. At this point, it simply became about survival, not the time on my Garmin. I had to make lemonade from lemons. You make all sorts of deals with yourself those last few miles. With your mind. With God. With anyone. You'll do anything for motivation and to get across that finish line.
I got to mile 24 and we merge with the half marathoners (although seperate chutes) and they do not know it but their kind cheers and encouraging words made my day. I keep telling myself only two more miles, but it feels utterly endless. Spectators yelling words of encouragement as runners make their way to the finish."You look strong!" someone yells. "How can that possibly be?!" I think to myself.
I make it to Mile 25. The Alamo Dome is in sight. Thank goodness. I trudge on. I was not thankful, however, for the .2 mile uphill finish at Mile 26 to cross the finish line. I knew it was there. It's there every year. This year it seemed about 80 times harder. Not cool race organizers. Those last 200 meters – those are the worst. Just as you make deals with God at the starting line, you make deals with the devil in that final minute. You’re racing a clock. You’re racing yourself. You’re racing your patience. You’re racing your capabilities. You’re racing the guy next to you and the girl behind you.
I made it across the finish line in 3:15:44. I later found out (thanks, Mom!) that I finished 6th overall amongst women and won my age group. This made me tear up as I truly never ever thought I would be placing in any race, much less a big marathon.
While it wasn't a PR for me, I'm proud of myself. With this type of weather, the marathon becomes very mental. I didn't give up, I didn't let it get me down. I truly believe it was 40 percent physical, 60 percent mental that got me through. Mind games run rampant in the last hour of a marathon. I can do anything for six miles. For five miles. For four. For three. For 20 minutes. You’ve got 10 minutes to finish, or you’re not going to break 3:16. Just one mile. Two-hundred meters. This is no different than your favorite route at home. Speed up. Stop looking at your watch. Faster. You’ve run a half mile hundreds of times. Literally.
People much faster than me also finished well off their goals or bests. At least we all suffered together. Marathons are hard, you guys, even 17 times later. It doesn't get that much easier. It just is what it is. A good day or a bad day.
Marathon #17, done. I am honored and privileged to be able to do this.
I'm feeling pretty good today. A little sore, but nothing painstaking. I won't be doing much running this week so that I can recover for JFK, but I will be doing a lot of swimming to work out the soreness with active recovery.
Last week wasn't much of a taper week. But, for me, running that marathon provided a big mental boost going into JFK this weekend. It was a reminder that when things get tough - and they surely will this Saturday - that I can overcome and power through. There is no hurdle that is too big to overcome. I am ready.
Last week's training:
Monday - (AM) 9 miles easy; (Lunch) 2,000 yd swim
Tuesday - (AM) Run group - 10.6 miles (1200m TT, hills); (Lunch) 35 minutes strength/core
Wednesday - (AM) 2,850 yd swim; (PM) 6.04 trail run
Thursday - (AM) Run group - 6.09 miles (progressive tempo run); (Lunch) 30 minutes strength/core
Friday - (Lunch) 2,150 yd swim
Saturday - (AM) 3.25 mile easy shakeout run; 1,800 yd swim
Sunday - (AM) 2 mile warm up; 26.2 mile marathon
Total Running Miles - 63.18 miles

It was a nice race report, Congratulations to all the participants for a great job well done and looking forward always.
ReplyDeleteYou really held it together wonderfully. Slipping off pace by 20 seconds is nothing compared to the death crawl that many others experienced that day. Seventeen marathons! Wow! I'll admit, I find myself doing pace calculations. "Ok, Erin will run at least a 3:15 in The Woodlands. That's 7:26/mile. Maybe, just maybe, I can keep up with her...well, maybe at least for the first half."
ReplyDeleteThanks ya'll! @Nicholas - I'm super excited about running the Woodlands with ya'll. And, I also know that you'll do better than you think. I'll probably be eating your dust! You've been putting in some great miles lately, and on the trails to boot. That's the hard stuff. The long miles on the road will seem like a piece of cake after that!
ReplyDeleteI'm in awe! I was there and it was my first marathon. I was on the course 6 plus hours and it was super tough!
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your race!!