Friday, November 11, 2011

To Rock it or Roll With It

Sunday is the San Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon. Yes, I am running a marathon the week before my first 50-miler. This should actually surprise no one.

This week, I've been asked the million dollar question: Are you going to race San Antonio, or just run it for fun? How often do I run a race, but don’t “race” a race? Pretty much never. Ever. I tried running a race for fun with Dan once, and it ended badly. It was a Thanksgiving morning race, and I ended up screaming at him as he got passed by a very pregnant woman at Mile 4. At that point the fun went out the window for both of us.

Running a race for fun be a breeze if my competitiveness didn’t get in my way. It’s extremely hard for me to run a race knowing it’s just for fun and not giving it all I've got. I can hold back in training, but strap a timing chip on me and throw me at a starting line with a bunch of other people, and it's blast off for me. I feel like I must give 110% every.single.time.

I feel like I've got a good marathon in me right now. I told myself if the weather was going to be nice on Sunday, then I'd really race it and see what I could do. But, it's Texas in November and so as usual for San Antonio, the weather is going to be pretty craptastic - 85 degrees with high humidity. Bad weather should be the perfect excuse to take it easy. But then I got to thinking...maybe the crappy weather will play to my advantage. I just ran a marathon in that type of weather, I train in that weather, I should be used to that type of weather...so my pea brain got the thinking, if I race it, I may have a shot at a good overall finish. Just maybe. I won't PR, but I've been putting in the miles, and I think that may play to my advantage and I might be able hang on longer and squeak out an age group placement (last year I won my age group so to be honest I feel the need to defend my title).

Anyway, I keep telling myself my approach to this race will be a 'game day decision'. If I'm honest with myself, I will probably race it. That's what I do. That's what I'm used to doing. I'll recover and move on to the next one.

On another note, pictures from the Run for the Water 10 miler were finally posted on-line. I found one that is actually half decent. Do I like it enough to buy it? No. But, it's one of the few that doesn't make me cringe.

Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I am registered for the Richmond full marathon that takes place tomorrow morning and guess what? I still haven't decided whether or not I am going to run it or switch to the 1/2. I have a lot of thinking to do on my drive down there this afternoon. Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jessica! Good luck to you too! The Richmond marathon was my first marathon ever, so I have fond memories of that race. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be hard not to race...might as well!

    I like the pic...completely airborn :)

    ReplyDelete