There is nothing more I like than when Friday comes around, except when Friday comes around after a really long & busy week. This week was one of those weeks. As you may or may not know, I am a special events/marketing coordinator for the Parks & Recreation Department of the city I live in. And, if you are wondering if my job is anything like the television show 'Parks & Recreation', yes, it totally is. Sometimes I wonder if that show is based on our particular department/town.
Anyway, I am in charge of planning certain city Special Events and this week was one of them - the Annual Halloween Festival. This is probably the largest scale event I am in charge of as it brings in about 1500 people and requires me to deal with multiple vendors and manage a large group of volunteers. Both of which I hate doing, so I always go into this event stressed out and on little sleep. The event was last night, so after being up at 4:45 am and getting to bed after 11 pm yesterday, then getting up at 6 am to be back in the office today for massive clean-up (cleaning up after large amounts of children with large amounts of candy involved isn't fun. Add sweeping floors to my list of other duties as assigned) and 6 hours of on-line FEMA training this afternoon...well, I'm beat and ready to hightail it out of the office and head straight to bed (but that would be lame since the RANGERS play in game 7 of the World Series tonight).
My plan was for one last long run of the training cycle tomorrow morning. I'm going to be honest and say that it's not happening. I'm just too tired and my body needs a break.I started to freak/stress out that I must get this run done, but when I started to look at my workouts the past 2 weekends + big work event, I realized I SHOULD be tired. 31 miles, followed by 17 the weekend before, followed by a hard marathon last weekend and a trail run on Sunday, plus two hard speed workouts at run group this week and little sleep = a tired Erin. So, maybe I'll go run a few easy miles on the trails tomorrow, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll swim tomorrow, maybe I won't. Sunday I'm running a hilly 10 mile race in Austin, so maybe I'll save my energy for that. I think, for once, I'll play it by ear this weekend and let the cards fall as they may (which is hard to do for this type A chick).
On another (completely random) note, I am trying to convince my husband that we need to rescue another basset hound. This one in particular.
His name is Leroy and he's from the Austin Basset Rescue (where we got our other two). His descriptions reads (no joke): "He is housebroken, has very good house manners. But, he will tip your smaller trash cans over if you leave beer cans in them (he loves beer -- which he isn't allowed to have, but will seek out the cans). This is awesome. I love beer. Dan loves beer. It's a match made in heaven!
Happy weekend and good luck to those running MCM!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Maybe train by putting on some skis or snow shoes. It's supposed to snow in Washington County tonight! Let's hope for a super warm up by 11/19! Event planning is tough. I spent 10 years of my career doing that - phew. Leroy sounds perfect! You need to get him! :-)
ReplyDeleteThat is crazy! My mom told me they were getting 3-6 inches of snow in Washington County! I definitely need to invest in some warmer running gear - I was planning to do JFK in shorts - looks like I need to rethink that plan :) Good luck at MCM!!
ReplyDeleteLeroy the dog and he likes beer? He needs to come home with you!
ReplyDeleteTaking much needed rest is part of training too. You're being smart!
Yeah, JFK course is supposed to get 8 inches of snow today. Maybe I should be adding "Yak Trax" to my packing list...
I can understand why you are tired! Rest, rest!
ReplyDeleteLeroy is adorable. Coming from someone who has 3 dogs, 3 really isn't much different from having 2, except there are now more dogs than hands!
Since others are talking snow in this area, yes, we ended up with a ton! My 50K in the area got postponed till next weekend. To my knowledge, JFK only had snow one year though!