Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Houston Marathon Race Report


It was a good day in Houston. Somehow I managed to pull off a new personal record at the Houston Marathon on Sunday with a 3:15:35. I'm still in shock, much as I was when I ran a 3:17 in Baltimore. Never did I imagine that I would be able to run a 3:15 marathon. It got me thinking: it is really amazing what you can accomplish when you put your mind to something. I remember my first marathon back in 2000 - my goal was to break 4 hours - and I think I barely did in like 3:59:30. My second marathon was a complete disaster and finished in like 4:30. This time last year, I was running marathons in 3:32, which was to me unfathomable at the time. And then Saturday, marathon #8, I ran a 3:15 - 26.2 miles at 7:27 pace. I'm just a normal person, I don't come from a family with athletic genes, I did not run in college, I've never had a running coach, running is not my full time job...I'm just proof that if you put your mind to something you can accomplish it! And, this is how I know I can complete an Ironman. It still seems unfathomable to me, but I know with hard work and perseverance, I can do it.

After Baltimore in October, I put my sights on running a 3:15 marathon in Houston, but had doubts that I would be able to shave 2 more minutes off my time. I went into the race not really expecting to run a PR. After a rough week at work, I was feeling tired and told myself I would be happy with a 3:20. Of course, those of you who know me, know I am super competitive with myself. So, when I got to the start line, I thought, what the hell, maybe I'll just go for that 3:15...unfortunately, there was not a 3:15 pace group, so I was on my own. My goal was to run consistent splits hovering between 7:25-7:30 min miles and stay ahead of the 3:20 pace group.

I stayed strong mentally throughout, which was my key to a successful race. To run a 3:15, there would be no easing into it, like I usually prefer to do: I had to start out strong and run, what was for me, a slightly uncomfortable pace the entire race. I started to falter a little between miles 16-20, but picked up my second wind at mile 21 and gunned the last 5 miles, passing people on my way.

I was the 40th overall female finisher, in a field of strong women and an incredibly strong elite field (the first women won $35,000!). I told Dan I'm curious to see where I finished among "Average Jane's". (oh yeah, the elites even had their own water stations even, no fair).

Did I mention that Dan kicked butt in the half-marathon? Well, he did! There is even talk in the Ruyle household about maybe him running the Disney marathon next January. This would make me very happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment