Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mission: Failed.

So, on Monday I decided I was going to start "eating clean." I had actually been thinking about it for awhile now, because of the health benefits and performance benefits it can have for athletes. In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet. These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it." I took myself to the grocery store on Monday and loaded up on fruits and veggies galore, kashi cereal, kashi granola bars, almond butter, barenaked granola and other delights.

Monday evening, I had a delightful meal of whole wheat tortillas, a ginormous salad and a plethora of veggies, including Dan's favorite: brussel sprouts. Tuesday morning, I traded my normal Honey Bunches of oats cereal for Kashi Go Lean cereal. At lunch, I had a turkey sandwich on all-natural whole grain bread along with fresh cut veggies, cottage cheese, nuts and fruits.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself. Kind of like a badass actually.

Until dinner time. Then disaster stuck. I met Dan at Razzou's for some of these. (fried pickles)









Then we decided to go to Dos Salsas, and I consumed this.

(big fat burrito. with chips and guac, of course).

Disaster my friends.
After dinner, I threw myself a pity party and called it tonight.

I regrouped this morning with a run and a healthy bowl of Kashi for breakfast, followed by a guilt-free lunch.

The disaster struck again. One of the eating clean principles if eliminating fake sugars from your diet. This includes Sweet & Lo and my beloved Diet Coke.
Fast forward to 3 pm when I had a headache that drove me to the vending machine to purchase this.

EEEFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

No comments:

Post a Comment