Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hi

My blog just woke up.

Sorry for my lack of less-than-exciting posts. I've been very, very busy. This is always a busy time of year at work, and will continue thru the end of October (3 Special Events to produce in October, yikes!). Not that I mind, it just puts the blog lower on the totem pole.

Running is going great. I love training with the Cross Country team at Southwestern. Love it, love it, love it. In fact, I have a hard time sleeping the nights before Tues/Thurs workouts because I am so excited and nervous (because I don't want to finish last!!). Dan says I am probably more excited about running, than the actual team members are. Probably true. A few observations after this mornings run with the team: 1) This will only make me faster. I work my BUTT off running with those boys. 2) Wow, I'm lucky to get to have this opportunity. Never take that for granted. 3) I bet I weigh more than every single one of those boys. Seriously. 4) Wow, they are good guys. Instead of ignoring me, they talk to me and cheer me on. This was unexpected. I can't wait for Fall racing season to see how my times improve.

Swimming is going well. I'm still in the pool 4-5 times a week, and have been working on my speed. Swimming is so technical that I don't know how much faster I'll actually get, but I'm still putting forth the effort.

Biking has been non-existent since the Saturday before last? To be honest, I just don't have the desire. I could make the time - I certainly did it for Ironman training - but it would cut into other things - like family time, time with friends, books I want to read and general rest - and, I am just not willing to give those up right now. To be honest, I'm getting a little burnt out training for triathlons. Biking is so time consuming and is becoming more of a chore than fun for me.

With one on triathlon - Longhorn Lahf-Ironman- left in the season (I won't start Ironman training until December), I think I am going to switch my focus to 90% running, 10% triathlon. While Longhorn initially was going to be my "A" race, I've changed my mind and am just going to do it for fun. I have no doubt I can complete the distance with minimal bike training (once per week); I've done this race the past 2 years, it can be done, I'm just changing my focus. I'll have plently of time to re-focus once I'm training for Ironman again, but for now, I'm just going to have fun. As my coach told me, "Don't worry about it - If all is good at work, home and with your health then we are in good shape..."

I'll still run a lot, keep up with my swimming, and get bike rides in when my schedule allows. But here's a motto I'm going to keep: Only do things that make me happy. If it doesn't make me happy, then don't do it. And certainly don't do something because someone else wants me to do it. Sound selfish? Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment