We were on vacation the front part of the week, and while most people use vacation to well, actually be on vacation and relax, I love nothing more than running on vacation. I love running in new places, and to be able to leisurely head out the door at my convenience, rather than my normal early morning rushed runs. I ended up with 72 miles on the week, which was only 3 more than my schedule called for, but still I ran every day instead of taking my normal Monday rest day. Back on schedule this week, I promise. There is a reason I have a plan, and I need to stick with it.
In addition to running too much last week, I also ate too much and didn't make the best food choices. Can I blame that on vacation too?
![]() |
| Helmet Sundae at the O's Game: Not on my diet. |
Last week's workouts:
Monday: Ashburn, Virginia - Ran 12 miles @8:05 pace. I usually don't run on Mondays, but I couldn't resist heading out for a run in my hometown. Plus, the weather was nice!
Tuesday: Laurel, Maryland - Ran 10.26 miles @8:07 pace. Nice morning to run. Seriously, it was great to be able to head out the door for a run at 8:30 am and not die from heat stroke. Texas, please take notes. Lots of hills on this route.
Wednesday: Ran 9.7 miles @8:21 pace; Swam 2400 yards. Back home and back in the swamp. Tired from travel so slogged through this one.
Thursday: Run Group - Ran 12.2 miles; Swam 3,000 yards. We headed to the track for 16x300m repeats with 100m recovery. This was tougher than I expected - those short recoveries hit you about half way through! My 300's ranged from 1:12 (6:23 pace) as my slowest (which was ironically my first one) to 1:04 (5:38 pace) being my fastest (which was my second to last one). Most were 1:07-1:09 for around a 6:04 pace.
Friday: Ran 5 miles easy, sans watch. I had to work until after 11 pm on Thursday night so there was nothing "easy" about this run. Swam 1,900 yards at lunch.
Saturday: Ran 8 miles @8:17 pace; swam 2,400 yards. This was supposed to be a cycle/run brick workout, but I could not get my butt of of bed. Working late Thursday and little sleep that night screwed up my schedule, and I was wiped out Saturday morning. So I nixed the bike and didn't head out for my run until after 9 am. Needless to say, it was miserably hot.
Sunday: Ran 14.57 miles with Hill Country Running Group (13.57 miles @7:36 pace; 1 easy cool down at 8:18 pace). Dan and I decided to check out a new running group on Sunday morning that a friend recommended. Somehow I convinced him (willingly) to get up at 4:45 am on a Sunday and come with me to check out the group (hell must have frozen over). Anyway, I am so glad we did. I ran with two guys (one a friend I knew and another guy I had never met) and they made me WORK. After an easy opening mile, we dropped the pace to around 7:22 for the remainder of the run. I started to fall off a little on the last mile, but overall was really pleased with this run after a week of big mileage. It's a reminder that I need to get out of my comfort zone and run with this group more often - I never would have pushed myself this hard on my own.
This week my mileage drops as it's both a recovery week and race week so I'll take an extra day off of running.
Have a great week!


Hi Erin! I wondered what in the world was going on when I saw Dan on the Brushy Creek Dam on Sunday morning .... was a great pick-me-up as I was wrapping up my last couple miles.
ReplyDeleteStill on the fence about the DU this weekend. Would like to do it, but will disrupt my training .... shoot me a message and talk me into it :)
Hi Joe! Yeah, Dan said he saw you flying by the the trail Sunday :) Sorry I missed you!
DeleteTotally understand about the du. Since we are strong runners and not strong swimmers, I actually think this type of race is harder for us physically since we don't have the swim to "take it easy." Probably so even harder for you since you are such a strong cyclist. The bike will actually be a "recovery" for me in between runs. Will shoot you a message!
I love how you accidentally run too much. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's a true talent :)
DeleteI am with Made. Left to my own devices I would end up in Philly not having run more than 5 or 6miles in a long run. This is why I really try to stick to my plans; I would be so unprepared.
ReplyDeleteIt was great getting to see you two last week.
Enjoy your race this weekend.
It was great to see you guys too!! I am excited for your Philly race! I can't wait to hear how you do :)
DeleteI'm with your friend Kara. Also, you read my mind because I saw on your twitter app thingy that you had a helmet sundae and I was like, what's that. Now that I see it, I want it! But I think Vince would say it is too far to travel for a sundae... sigh. husbands. killjoys.
ReplyDeleteAnywho- Awesome training and mileage as usual!
The helmet sundaes are soooo good :)
DeleteWOW! That is a lot of running! How did you feel? Any soreness? I hope this weekend goes great!
ReplyDeleteAnd vacation eating...what can you do? I always over eat on vacation!!!
Thanks, Rain! I'm a little tired (but not sure the culprit isn't work/travel) but otherwise feeling good!
Delete