Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Introverts, Extroverts & Running

I’m currently reading a book called “The Introvert’s Advantage” and it got me thinking a lot about running (endurance running in particular), and the personality traits that accompany the sport.

A few things about me:
  • I cannot be on the “go” constantly without some serious alone time to recharge.
  • I do not like large groups.
  • I am fine with silence and prefer it over constant and mindless chatter.
  •  I’d prefer to listen than talk.
  • I may get crabby after spending a lot of time around other people.
  • I abhor small talk. I’d rather have a meaningful discussion on something that interests me or have no conversation at all.
  • I relish my alone time.
  • I hate talking on the phone.
  • I have no problem going to the movies or out to dinner alone- and often do (although my brother endlessly makes fun of me for this).
  • My dream job is to be a college professor/researcher or work for myself.
Most, if not all, of these traits scream introvert. Like a lot of runners, I am an introvert by nature.

I’ve had people – whom I presume are extroverts based on my observations – ask me before how I run, swim or bike for hours upon hour alone? What do I think about? How do I not get bored? How do I not go crazy? How can I be alone with my thoughts for that long? It’s always seemed like a weird question to me, because honestly – I relish that time. It’s my "me" time. Those long runs are how I escape the daily stresses of work and life and recharge. Covering lots of miles is trance-like bliss for me, not torture as it is for the more social.

Last night we attended a work function. It started at 5 pm. By 5:10, I was eying the exit, anxious to make my escape which inevitably came at 5:28. Those social situations - especially ones that are presumably forced - make me uncomfortable and have me headed to the door as soon as possible.

It's weird though with my run groups - those are the times when I am most social and in my element. Most social functions? I would give my right foot not to have to attend those. But run group - I don't miss them unless I'm on my death bed or traveling.

I enjoy the solitude of a solo run. Yet, group running provides both a fun and challenging social atmosphere where I am able to let my guard down. I feel very at home among a race crowd even if I'm not running with anyone in particular. I find myself most comfortable around other runners. While in every day life, I am definitely an introvert, I find myself becoming more and more of an extrovert when it comes to running.
I'm curious - are you an introvert,  an  extrovert, or a mix of the two when it comes to running?

17 comments:

  1. I hate most people, but I like other runners. Is there a term for that? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! If there isn't, there totally should be :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great post. I'm more in the introvert camp (although that has been a shift from my younger days). I run the majority of my miles by myself. I love it. It's me, my thoughts, and the world. When I run with others though it's usually lots of talking and catching up, etc. All good things as well.

    I think balancing the two is beneficial for us runners. We know we can get out and be social but the solitude and enjoyment of the solo runs is a constant presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve! I agree- I think running has really helped me find balance and prevents me from becoming a total hermit. I love that running allows me to be both an introvert (solo runs) and extrovert (group runs).

      Delete
  3. I am much like you. I am just not very social, and awkward in social situations.

    I am with Kara, I hate most people too....but like most runners...we should come up with a name for this :)

    runner-vert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Runner-vert! Love it! We need to get that trademarked :)

      Delete
  4. The traits you listed describe me exactly. I have an almost 4 year old boy, so I treasure my solo runs even more. I'm also a teacher, so that part of me must be the extrovert in me because I could talk in front of my 8th graders all day (although I do one day want to be a college professor also!) I hate big parties and big groups of people and much prefer to be at home. I have yet to try a run group, so I don't know if I would like that. I read your blog, but never commented before! I am a runner in RR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thanks so much for your note - great to hear from a fellow local runner. I can imagine after a day of teaching 8th graders that your alone time is very sacred! I don't know how you do it - I commend you. Most work days I have very few encounters with co-workers as most of my work is "behind the scenes" but the days where I am constantly around people, I really have to use the evening to decompress.

      You are more than welcome to come out and check out our Georgetown Run Group anytime! :)

      Delete
  5. Sarah's post is totally me! I realized I often like running without music just to have some quiet time.

    I think I do fall in the middle. I am shy, so I certainly come across introverted. I like being with SMALL groups of people. Large parties are overwhelming, and I end up talking to no one. Lately, I have wanted to crawl into a hole and left alone. I guess I haven't had much alone time (can't imagine why...could it be 2 little chatterbox girls?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your girls are the sweetest but I can see how you wouldn't get much alone time :). I'm so glad you signed up for Philly so you could do something for yourself. I often take for granted that I can go out and run or do whatever whenever I want - I really am in awe of those with kids as I don't know how ya'll do it sometimes!

      I'm with you - small groups are fine, big groups give me anxiety!

      Delete
  6. Hi Erin, I'm with you on this! The hardest part about having kids for me was losing the ability to do things myself whenever I wanted-especially running. I train almost 100% of the time on my own, (with music-I guess that's kind of a crutch!), and have always been self motivated. I don't understand people who need others to motivate them. Also, finding partners that are close to your ability, share the same dedication and that you can stand to be around for 20 miles is a rare thing! I do think having partners for track workouts is a bonus, especially if they are faster than you..I have trouble running to my full potential during intervals on my own. I get stuck in a comfort zone! When I do have a group, I seem to do well with masters men. They are usually a laid back bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith!
      I'm totally with you on the self motivation. I'm 100% self motivated, which is one reason I've never hired a running coach as I really don't need someone to hold my hand and get me out of the door.

      Agreed 100% on the training partners as well. Most of my training partners are men (there are some fast ones in our run group that I chase). No offense to female runners, but I have found male runners to be more akin to the "no nonsense, no drama, no excuses" approach that I like to take to training :)

      I find I push myself much harder at the track not only if I have people to chase, but simply just having others around doing the same workout. For some reason, I tell myself they are watching me so I can't slack off!

      I obviously don't have kids, but hands down not being able to run whenever I wanted would be the biggest and hardest adjustment for me. I commend you for making time (and still being super speedy)!!

      Delete
  7. Well, I am the exact opposite of this post and everyone's comments. I don't much care to run alone, especially at the time I am forced to do it. With 2 young kids & heat, I am running mostly before dawn. I just cannot get up at 5am & think, YIPPEE! I get to run and alone! I do rely on the motivation of a partner or training for a race to move me to run. OK that and getting to eat. That being said, I DO run alone just not often. However, that is about to change as the hubster will travel for work leaving me a single, working mother 3 days out of 7. I will miss running with my partners & am fortunate that the days I go it alone are "easier" & that my speed/tempo days are with them. I do MUCH better in a group/partner environment & enjoy the thrill and pace of it all....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn! Thanks for your comment - it's nice to hear the other side of the spectrum (although I admit eating does motivate me to run as well :). I agree with you about running much better in a group environment. I definitely push myself harder - especially on long runs- when running in a group. Have a great day!

      Delete
  8. I totally relate to this post! There are some days I just need a solo bike or run, and others when the most social part of my day is a chatty run with friends. I also just hate networking events/dinners at work - it's so forced. Thanks for sharing, it's nice to know others feel the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Britt! Ugh - totally agree on the networking events/dinner. They do seem really forced!

      Delete
  9. A little late to comment but I read this earlier and couldn't comment when I first read it. Your traits describe me perfectly. I've always been a bit of a loner but amazingly over the past couple of years, I've started to enjoy group running. I still need my alone time but stick with a small group of runners and suddenly my awkwardness goes away and I can enjoy the time talking with others. It still sucks if I'm just out to an 'event' with them though

    ReplyDelete