If you're looking for a challenging workout, I have one for you. It's called 'The Michigan' and it will challenge even the toughest and most advanced runners.
I have to admit (but you probably already know this) I am a big running nerd, and I love spending my free time researching new and different workouts. I love a good challenge, so the harder the workout looks, the more excited I get. My friend Mick and I lead a Tues/Thurs morning run group, so when I found this workout last week, I got ridiculously excited and decided it would be our Thursday track workout.
Anyway - This workout was devised in the 70's by Michigan cross country coach. Known as “The Michigan,” the workout is designed to simulate the change of paces that runners experience in a race. The workout combines easy base miles that build aerobic capacity, a tempo run that raises lactate threshold, and longer and shorter intervals that work VO2 max. Alternating tempo runs with intervals teaches you to change gears when you are fatigued and to recover from a surge while keeping a decent pace. The workout also gives you practice with the fast start and the kick to the finish—when you're most fatigued—needed in racing situations.
The Michigan consists of the following:
1. The workout begins with a fast mile on a track. Runners should attempt to run about 15-20 seconds slower than their best mile time. The purpose of this intense mile is to simulate the fast pace at the start of a race.
2. After the mile, jog about 3 minutes before running a slower mile on the track. This mile should be about a minute slower than the track mile.
3. After the 2nd mile, jog 3 minutes and then run a fast 1200 meters (3 laps) on the track at about the pace you ran your first mile.
4. Jog 3 minutes and run another mile at the pace you ran the 2nd mile.
5. Jog 3 minutes and run a fast 800 meters on the track
6. Jog 3 minutes, and run another mile (same pace as Mile #2).
7. Jog 3 minutes and finish with an all-out 400 meter run on the track. It is really important to run this last part of the workout as quick as possible because it simulates a kick at the end of a race.
This is how the workout went for me
(we used one lap around the track - 400m- for the 3 minute recovery jog between sets).
warm- up: 4 miles easy
1st mile - 6:08 <- on target
400m recovery
2nd mile - 6:31 <- too fast
400m recovery
1200m (.75 mile) - 4:34 (6:06 pace) <- on target
400m recovery
1 mile - 6:36 <- a bit too fast still
800m (.50 mile) - 3:13 (6:26 pace) <- too slow
400m recovery
1 mile - 6:53 <- on target
400m (.25 mile) - 1:22 (5:31 pace) <- on target
cool down - .86 mile easy
Pacing yourself for this type of workout is a bit challenging since it combines so many different elements into one workout. Looking at my splits, I needed to slow down some on that second and third mile and turn out a faster 800m. Overall, I'm pleased with my splits though. And this may sound sadistic, but I LOVED this workout. It fits into the style of the runner that I am. It actually flew by (and I would never think 7 miles on the track would go by quickly) because you were always focused on a different interval and the accompanying pace.
Overall, Operation Michigan was a success. If you try this workout, let me know how it goes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Still really good paces Erin!
ReplyDeleteI would like to try this one when I am up to it sometime!
You looked super strong out there and I didn't appreciate being lapped so many times!! :)
Keep the intersting workouts coming! You and Mick are doing a great job of coming up with some good workouts, as well as really getting everyone in good running shape!
I really appreciate all you two do!
And again...really good idea about laminating the workout so everyone could follow it!
Oh yeah, I'll get right on this. :P
ReplyDeleteMan, sounds like an awesome and hard workout. Sorry I missed it!
ReplyDelete