Monday, February 22, 2010

Technical Difficulties

Long story short: Saturday morning I met a group out at Brushy Creek to ride. I had 50 miles on schedule, they were planning to ride about 20 - 10 miles out and 10 miles back. At the ten mile turnaround, I decided to just keep going by myself with the plan to ride 25 miles out, and 25 miles back. I'm feeling great, excited that I am having a good ride. Mile 25 happened to be at the Andice General store, and I spotted an outdoor bathroom so I stopped to use the bathroom. Getting to the bathroom required riding over a gravel trail, which turned out to be a bad idea because the next thing I know I had a flat tire. My first flat ever on my road bike. Guess who did not know how to change a tire or even have the proper equipment to do so? Yep, me. At first, I think no big deal, I'll just call Dan and have him come out and change my tire for me, then I will finish my ride. I try Dan. No answer. I try calling Dan again and again for the next hour. I try calling a few other people. No answer. Finally, I reach Dan and he comes to get me. At this point, my ride is over. It's raining, and I am wet, cold and pissed off. That was the end of my ride.

So yesterday I am done pouting and march myself over to REI and buy a tire repair kit. And get a lesson on how to change a tire. It might take me awhile, but now I can do it. And I have the proper equipment to do so. Plus, I also scored some great bargains while I was there so it was a little bit of shopping therapy as well.

Even though I did not finish my ride, I know I could have. And, something is always better than nothing. Things don't always go as planned, so I will put that ride behind me and there is always next week!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment