Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My desk could be on an episode of Hoarders (and why my co-workers think I'm strange)

It's no secret that I like to eat. Lots and often. However, I don't eat a lot of junk - i.e. cookies, cake, chips, donuts, etc that tend to make frequent appearances in the office environment. I don't like to buy things out of the office vending machine, nor do I like to go out to lunch. I prefer to bring my own food - lunch, snacks, drinks - to the office so they are available whenever I am hungry. Which happens to be quite often.

I have the same routine every day. I pack my lunch in a plastic grocery bag, and when I get to work I line it up on my desk and dispose of the bag. I also have a little brochure holder on my desk that I keep full of granola bars in case of emergency. Because let's me honest: I am not pleasant to be around when I am hungry. I don't think much about how this may look because most people just pop their head into my office to talk; and they would not notice my food stash unless they came around to the side of my desk.

So, when I asked our Admin Asst to help me with a computer network issue this morning, I was confused by the odd looks she was giving my desk. Perhaps, I thought, she is also perplexed by my computer issue.

Until she left, and I realized what she had been seeing is this, and probably wondering what my house looks like, if I'm Mormon, and that I should probably be on an episode of the show Hoarders.Note to self: Self, you are weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment