Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Oompa Loompa

Christmas is over, I'm back at work (if you're off this week I'm giving you the stank eye through this blog), and we successfully survived a road trip to Howe, Texas and then Wylie, Texas to visit the in-laws, with two hyper active dogs.

Although I did end up with quite a few miles last week, I am still feeling like a giant oompa loopa this morning. The thing about visiting Dan's family - especially around the holidays - is that everything revolves around food. Good food and lots of it. All the time. Starting me in the face and taunting me. They are always kind to have options for me since I am a picky eater. While I did fill my plate with some fruit, the veggies that were so tasty were covered in butter and cheese, the mini turkey sandwiches that we sooo good I later learned were marinated in butter (Dan had to burst my bubble and told me this) and the variety of at least 10 different delicious dips left me snacking all day long. SO pretty much the 10 miles I would run only put a dent in my breakfast. While I'm not going to beat myself up about eating wayyy less than healthy options for the last week (okay the last month), I'm ready to get back to my normal eating habits. Thing is, it's always easier said than done for me (as I am sitting here eating gummy bears). Once I get in the habit of eating bad, I seem to crave junk. *sigh*

I ended up with 62.94 tobeexact miles last week. I'm still on track to reach 2,850 miles for the year...although I did miss run group this morning because I was tired (travel with dogs to new places means they don't sleep and so neither do we). Hopefully I can get in some good runs this week. Here's what happened last week-

Monday: 10.01 easy miles (AM); 2,150 yd swim (Lunch)

Tuesday: 9.79 miles (progressive 1,000's starting at MGP and dropping 5-8 seconds each repeat) (AM); Core work (Lunch)

Wednesday - 7.9 miles @moderate pace (AM)

Thursday - 11.14 miles (400's) (AM)

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 11.75 easy. I wasn't feeling well. This run sucked.

Sunday - 12.35 miles @ moderate pace in Howe, Texas (population 2500). I had to run up and down the highway to get this run in. That was the only place I could run without having to worry about stray dogs or other creatures (my mother in-law mentioned she sees bobcats quite often) chasing me. The highway must have been recently chip sealed because every time a  car would zoom by at 80 mph, rocks would fly up from the road and hit me in the face. Good times.

Total Miles - 62.94

If anyone would like to come remove all of the junk food from our house/my work desk I would be forever grateful. Please and thank you.

5 comments:

  1. Step one: put all junk food, especially gummi bears, in a box.

    Step two: Mail the box to me.

    You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get the junk food thing. Even though I am enjoying my time visiting my sister in FL, I miss my food and my schedule at home. I know it makes me feel good, full of energy...I am a creature of habit. I am trying to let go though and not get too stressed about it, but it gets tough. (^^^Kara cracks me up ^^^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I am in the same place. Just craving sugary junk! I can't stop!!!!!
    Really a lot of miles last week! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas without butter is like July 4th without fireworks. That's an awesome week of work regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, man, your trip sounds a lot like mine to visit Dawn's family in Pittsburgh. Just not a runner/athlete friendly menu there. Evertything is basically cooked about as bad for you as possible.

    It's not the calories so much that I worry about, but how my body feels after eating something so different than I am used to. Takes me close to 4-5 days to start feeling "right" again.

    Way to get in some great mileage while you were away, always tough to do. You'll be back to normal (as normal as we are anyway) by the weekend.

    Glad you guys had a nice visit and made it back safely.

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete