Monday, April 19, 2010

I rode 104 miles, and am still alive to tell about it.

Happy Monday! That's right folks, it's all rainbows, sparkles and sunshine around these parts today - rare for a Monday, I know - but, I'm still on cloud 9 from surviving yesterday's ride, and an overall good training weekend.

Yesterday was my first 100 mile ride, which I was doing in San Antonio (Fiesta Wildflower ride). I was really nervous/dreading this ride because I was really scared that I was not going to be able to complete the distance without supreme discomfort, or without throwing my bike into oncoming traffic out of frustration. However, much to my delight, neither was the case, and I actually enjoyed the ride (expect for the part about it taking up my entire day). First, and what I attribute much to my experience yesterday, was that I got my bike re-fit properly - my seat was too low, and my aerobars were not on correctly. These adjustments made a world of difference, and I was able to ride in the aero position for pretty much the entire ride. A big thank you to Dorothy & Keith for pointing out that my bike needed to be readjusted. The course was windy, windy, windy BUT it did not rain, so thank you mother nature for cooperating.

Per my coach's instructions "not to dilly dally" I tried to treat the ride like a race and only stop when absolutely necessary - which was twice - once to pee, and once to refill my water bottle/grab 1/2 a pb&j sandwich. I rode with a couple different groups of people, but would lose some when they stopped at rest stops, so I kept going and would work to catch another group ahead of me. By the end, I was actually passing people (this never happens). I was so pumped that I was going to 1) finish the distance and 2) actually felt great that the last 15 miles or so I sang. Out loud. Mostly "Eye of the Tiger." I just kept going and thought - not for the first time - the faster I go, the sooner I can get off. Oddly enough, the end snuck up on me ! I saw the park and went left into the "bike finish" lane. yay !!

This ride was a huge confidence builder for me mentally. A few more 100 mile practice rides before Ironman CdA, and I'll be good to go!

Big training week for me last week. Will taper somewhat with reduced volume this week with the Lonestar 70.3 on Sunday!

Last weeks' totals:
Swim - 11,600 yds
Bike - 149.30 miles
Run - 45.10 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment