Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Swimming With the Fishes

First, a big congrats to everyone who ran Boston yesterday! Wish I could have been there. What a magical experience that race is.

Tonight is the first Splash & Dash of the season. One of the reasons why I love the Austin area is events like these. Put on by a local bike shop, these races are held once a month from April - September and consist of a 750 m open water swim, followed by a 2 mi run. They are only $10 and are chip timed with food afterwards. Great for triathlon training.

There are some fasties at these races. Like professional triathletes. Before they start the swim, race organizers always ask that participants seed themselves in the water according to ability. Read: If you're a fast swimmer, then get to the front. If you're slow, then get to the back. At these events, I'm usually middle to back of the pack swimmer, so I always seed myself accordingly, to the back. I have no desire to get swam over and get in the way of the fasties.

I received the following email from my coach yesterday. I have highlighted the parts that nearly gave me a panic attack:

Also, if for some reason I do not see you tomorrow before the S&D... I really want you to start in the very front row on the swim. I do not want you to try and sprint the swim but I want you to swim under control the first 200-300m. I want you to try and settle yourself as people are bumping, kicking and trying to swim over you. YOU WILL NOT DROWN!!! This is a very safe enviroment for you to get put into this position and to practice staying in control of your body and mind. There will be 2-3x in Galveston & 10x the amount of people at CDA. You need to create space - Make your body wide with strong kicks if someone is on your feet and wide elbows on your strokes. Then control to know when to stay on someone's feet (Draft) and to know when you just need to swim around them as they are too slow. After the first white platform things start to spread out at S&D so you will only have a short time to practice in this enviroment. Take advantage of it.

Um....what? You want me to start in the front row? So, I can practice getting kicked, swam over and trampled on by super fast men (and women) who will probably be cursing me for being super slow and in their way? Um....okay.

Because I know he's right, and I need to practice this for the 2,000+ mass start swim at CdA, I will do it. I need to get out of my comfort zone, and that is what this process is all about. But, I will not be happy if I exit the water with a black eye and missing a few teeth...

Editor's note: I did not realize when I signed up for an Ironman that it was a mass swim start. I assumed it was a wave start, like other triathlons. Suprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment