Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The tortoise

It’s funny. Or maybe not. My workout dictates my mood. And it’s hard to shake when it’s bad. My swim last night did not go well (although I did keep all my teeth in tact and escaped without any bruises). My swim was just slow. Slower than every single time I did that race last year. And, it's frustrating. Especially since I have been working so so hard on my swimming. My run was the fastest it's ever been for that race. How is it that my running keeps getting faster and everything else slower? The thing is that I felt like I was swimming well. I have no problem covering the distance. In fact in true Ironman fashion, I swam two extra loops of the lake after the race was over.

Then I look at the results this morning and saw my swim time. This puts me in a very bad mood. The bad mood puts me into a bit of a panic. And the panic exacerbates my bad mood.

Then I remember that this was only my second open water swim of the season and that this preparation is just that, preparation. The harder it is now, the easier it will feel race day. I remind my type A self that I am not going to be good at everything.

I’m reminding myself today that there will be good workouts and bad workouts, and I can’t let the bad ones mess with my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment