Monday, August 29, 2011

24 and 17. Done and Done.

I tried a new approach to 50-miler training this weekend with back-to-back long runs, as opposed to a long ride/medium run Saturday, followed by a long run on Sunday. And, while I was a bit daunted by the task of spending the majority of my weekend running, I ended up really enjoying it.

I ran 24 miles Saturday with company at a faster pace than I usually do my long runs (8:08 pace) and 17 miles solo on Sunday at easy pace (8:41). After resting on Friday other than a light swim, I felt great on Saturday's run - the question that loomed in my head was how I would feel the following morning. I woke up in the middle of the night Saturday with some soreness and general achiness, causing a little bit of worry about how Sunday's run would play out. The first two miles were a bit rough, but after I got warmed up, I started to feel much better. And, as the miles ticked by, I started to feel better and better. I finished Sunday's run with a big smile on my face, thinking that I can actually do this thing.

67.68 running miles last week. How do I feel this morning? Pretty darn good, surprisingly.

I think the biggest challenge with the 50-mile distance, will not be the running or the miles. Similar to the Ironman, I think it will be a mind game. It will be about getting my head in the right place so I can run 50 miles. It will be about getting my legs to be my mind's bitch.

So, onward and upward with another week of training. This week, though, I need to get in some trail miles.

Less than 3 months until I run my first 50-miler. Sometimes that's exciting; other times it makes me want to soil myself.

4 comments:

  1. Great runs! I did a 4 hr (27+) and 3 hr (20+) this weekend too and I am hurting a little more than you appear to be. Ha. This is my first ultra and I am shaking in my boots! I just want to do everything I can to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And, fantastic running, Jessica! Those are some serious miles! Keep up the good work - sounds like you are on the right track :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great running last week Erin, you are really killing it! You definitely need to try and get some trail running in as you continue training. I am trying to get at least one of my long runs in every week on trails that are similar to the race and it is definitely helping. Since the trails have more elevation and generally tear up my legs a little more, i have been cheating a little with my 2nd long run and doing it on the road. It is definitely easier and I am still getting solid miles on tired legs! BTW, i will be moving back to the east coast next summer, so I may definitely try and do the JFK depending on your review.

    Keep killing it, cause you are motivating me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great runs! I really can't imagine running that much in 2 days. It's really crazy if you think about it! I know you will do great in your 50 miler and I agree it's going to be more of a mental struggle than anything!

    ReplyDelete