Friday, August 5, 2011

Letting Myself off the Hook

It's no secret that I like to push myself. I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to my workouts, and I don't like to make excuses to not complete a scheduled workout. In fact, I can be disciplined to a flaw so much that I will do anything to get in my workouts, whether it's getting up at 3 am to get it done or missing a fun night out because I need to get to bed early. I have these lofty intentions/goals that propel me towards a constant state of busyness. And when I don't reach the goals, I feel a little flat, let down, disappointed. I feel remorse and guilt when I fall short of my best laid plans.

This week took a different turn than planned. My training was (unintentionally) significantly reduced. I haven't been on my bike since last Saturday. I did not work out in the evenings at all. I skipped Tuesday morning run group for extra sleep. I blew off my usual Tuesday evening group ride. I skipped some lunch time swims. And, my plans for a Thursday evening ride were easily exchanged for pizza and beer with my husband. I took two complete days off from running during the week (I must be sick). My swim workouts were all easy and fly by my pants.

Feeling guilty for my so called laziness this week, I woke up this morning thinking I should get up and get in a ride before work, but laid in bed watching the clock turnover from 5:00 to 6:00 and knew it wasn't going to happen. When the time read 7:00 a.m., I made the decision not to worry about it. I let myself off the hook. It’s true I will not meet goal for number of training hours this week. So be it. My body wanted to rest this week, and I let it. I've been putting it through hell, and it was time to give it some rest.

Too often I let my type A sometimes crazy mind take over with guilt when I don't meet my goals for the week. Like somehow running/biking/swimming xxx numbers of miles each week determines my worth as a person. I completely exclude the middle ground. It was time to get over myself. It’s not like I'm a pro athlete or anything. I can work hard, but I also need to know when enough is enough. Training should be fun, but not an obligation.

In reality there will be weeks where I will not meet my goals. And that reality does not need to upset me; I need to let myself off this self-imposed hook and just be free to do what I can and forget the rest.

It felt good to let myself off the hook this week.


3 comments:

  1. Wow! Great post Erin. I know exactly how you feel. Congratulations for letting yourself off the hook. It's awfully hard to do!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good post! I know trying to meet a certain requirement we've set ourselves to do, can almost limit ourselves to frustration instead of happiness. You look great! I am in Austin too! That is so neat! I'm planning on doing the 10k on Oct.2 instead of just 5ks all the time. Any advice on how to work my way up to it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! It's nice to know others can relate.

    As far as 10k advice - with a base of 5k fitness, prepare for longer distances with weekly long runs and quality runs during the week. Build your long runs slowly to avoid injury by following the 10% rule - never increase your weekly mileage more than 10% (if you run 20 miles a week, add two miles to your week; if you run 15 miles a week, add 1.5 miles, etc.). Your main focus should be your weekly long runs (one per week).

    Gradually build up to 6 miles on your long run day. Use the long run to build your fitness, mental toughness, and to prepare you the race by simulating the race day. The long runs do not need to be fast; it's just about getting in the mileage and putting in time on your feet. It looks like you have a great base already, so I would just slowly increase your mileage each week. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete