Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Figuring Out the 50-Miler

In about 3 months, I am planning to run the JFK 50 Mile ultramarathon. As the realization is starting to hit me, I have spent a lot of time researching anything and everything related to the JFK race and the 50 mile distance itself.

I am frightened–not of the running, not of the distance, not of the pain- but mostly of the unknown, namely, where it will take me internally in that uncharted territory of mind. I’ve come to realize how much further the distance is compared to my normal runs, and it is daunting. I remember having the same feeling going into my Ironman. I had put in the training, but I had never put all of the pieces together. I did not swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, then run a marathon in training - not even near that. Just as I won’t run near 50 miles in training for JFK. I have a profound respect for the distance. Like with sound, where volume, measured in decibels, increases exponentially, the level of difficulty of a long run increases with the distance exponentially.

Many of you know I am originally from the Washington, DC area. All my family is still there. This means that JFK is my home race. The race is the largest and oldest ultra-marathon in the country, brings out the nation's best trail runners. I chose it not only for its proximity to my family, but also for its prestige. I am the first to admit that I am driven by my competitive nature. Growing up it was for grades. Now it's in my running. I find that I get competitive in many areas of my life, but mostly it's to prove something to myself. When I race, I'm competing against my own times. Yes, there are a few girls out there that I'll admit I enjoy beating. But if they have the better day than I do, I don't begrudge them that, nor do I fall apart. That being said, I would being lying if I said I am going into this race just to finish. I am going in it to compete. I am not cocky enough to think I have a chance for a top ten finish in this field; but I would like a strong finish in my age group and to cross that finish line before the clock strikes xxx.

The biggest thing I’ve been struggling with is setting my time goal. When signing up for this race I had two specific goals: to run the entire thing (no walking!) and to average 9 minute miles, ultimately finishing in around 7 hrs and 30 min. Seems relatively easy in theory…until I started doing more research on this unknown distance they call the 50-miler. To be honest, I always thought the longer distance would play to my strength. I am actually not that fast, I just don’t slow down as much as others, which is why I prefer to run a marathon over a 5k any day. I was banking on this theory applying in the 50 miler. But, what if half-way through, I am way off pace? Will I be able to remain mentally focused? What if I have to walk the last 10 miles? What if I am completely humbled by the distance? Will I be able to accept 'just a finish'?

The race is a mix of very technical hilly trails (15.5miles), dirt flat path (26.3miles) and rolling roads (8.4miles) (the race is actually 50.2miles total). While I am not confident in my ability to run 9 min miles on technical trails, we are done with the technical part of the race first, and then I am confident in my ability to run 9 or sub 9’s….but for how long? Can I hold it for 34 more miles?

I read that one should not expect to complete a 50-miler without walking (unless you are a super star elite or highly experienced). In fact, most people utilize a run/walk strategy. So, it is realistic for me to think I can run for 50 miles without walking? I don’t know. I think back to Ironman C’ouer D’Alene. I had the same goal going into the marathon portion of the Ironman. I ended up walking through some of the water stops the last 6-7 miles and finished right at a 4 hour marathon/9 min miles. So, will this experience be a similar experience? Again, I don’t know.

And, speaking of running hours and hours at a time, I’m going to have to eat something other than gel packets. Eating on the run isn’t something you can take or leave when it comes to ultra running, and that isn’t something I’ve been training (mental note: must do). How easy will I be able to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the run?

I know much of the success is a function of the mind. But, I know how naive I feel about the distance, and don’t want to get my ass handed to me as a result. I’m a big believer in the ‘Go Big or Go Home’ theory…I just don’t want to be going home at mile 30.

This should be interesting.

7 comments:

  1. Ok, here are my thoughts, for what they are worth. Goal 1, finish the 50.2 miles. Goal 2, a time goal. You could also set goals for all the new parts. And this race would be a base for next time (sorry Aunt Jo...I know how much you love all this).

    No matter what, I will be impressed, cheering you on with an amazed smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    Excellent post. I have been wrestling with many of the same questions as I prepare for my first 50 miler in December. You're a strong athlete and you are gonna kill it at JFK. For me, I am planning to walk the steep uphills and run the rest. I have started to practice walking and to be OK with that. I've found the mental part to be very hard. Even going out for a trail run and coming in with a slower time is tough, but I figure if I can win the mental race, the physical race will be no sweat (well some sweat and pain and agaony, lol...). Have you read Relentless Forward Progress by Bryon Powell (www.irunfar.com)? I am reading it now, and it's pretty good!

    Anyway, I've been enjoying seeing your progress on DM. Keep it up and please keep us posted on your training and strategy for the JFK!

    Mike @ justalittlerun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! This is all really great advice. Thanks, Mike, for the book recommendation. Sounds like one I need to read; definitely going to purchase it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine running that far. If anyone can do it you sure can Erin. Wish it was closer so I could cheer you on!! Really an ultra marathon...truly amazing and inspiring that you are even going for it. Whether you walk, run, crawl...I mean really you are out their trying and that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, my two cents (and it's probably worth that much.) 1)Take the technical part of the race easy. It will be the toughest on your body and will tire you out the most. 2)Approach nutrition for this race like you did for the IM, not how you would for a marathon. You must eat/drink early and on a schedule. This will be tough when you're not hungry early on, but it's crucial to keeping enough absorbed calories in your body. (How long does it take to digest PB&J if you bonk at mile 35?) 3)Get on the trails as much as possible between now and then, including long runs on tough terrain. The roads by themselves will not prepare you for the beating you'll take on the trails. Remember how you felt after Hells Hills? Well, you'll still have 35 miles to go after that. 4)Consider walking while eating. It won't take that long, but your heart rate must come down to stomach solid food. You can't afford to lose calories by puking.

    You will rock this race! But, 50 miles is a long way and cannot be tackled like a marathon. Go at it like you did IMCDA with a solid race plan, and you'll have great success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post Erin!! Being that I have my first 50 in two weeks, here are my thoughts. :) 1. I 100% plan on walking. In fact I have practiced power walking hills and power walking flats when I'm tired. 2. I have practiced eating real food on long training runs. 3. I'm not anywhere as speedy as you but I do try to be competitive in trail runs. My goals are A. To finish. B. To finish before the cut off. C. To leave every part of me on that course thereby placing well in the female runners. If everything I have that day means I finished past the cut off...well then I still finished a 50 miler. I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A big thank you everyone for taking the time to share your great advice!! It's all so helpful!

    ReplyDelete