Please excuse this word vomit on my blog, as it’s been a really tough week for me.
I really don't think that there is a better friend than your dog. Loyalty, undying and true, along with unconditional love is the glue that binds man with his best friend.
I really don't think that there is a better friend than your dog. Loyalty, undying and true, along with unconditional love is the glue that binds man with his best friend.
Those that have known me for awhile, know that I absolutely adore my basset hounds. I will do anything for those dogs. One of them, Flash, even has his own blog and Facebook page (go ahead and call me crazy dog lady).
I have written about my dogs, Flash & Lulu, before on this blog, but in this post, there is a different tone that is taken.
Not that I didn’t love Lulu, but Flash is my best buddy. He follows me everywhere, greets me at the door when I get home from work, and never leaves my side. This may sound crazy, but when he looks into my eyes, I really feel he understands me.
Even if you do not care for dogs very much, just come meet my dog, Flash...And you will instantly be drawn to his big beautiful brown eyes, sweet little open-mouthed and tongue-hanging-out-smile, floppy ears, fairly large snout and black wet nose.
Flash has been having what the vet thinks are epileptic seizures, and they have been increasing in frequency. It’s both scary and heartbreaking. I was pretty much devastated when the vet told me there is no cure for epilepsy, only medicine to tame the seizures. And, that, it’s likely in time the seizures will not be as contained and can turn into grand mal seizures where my poor Flash can have seizures that cause him to poop and pee on himself. While the medication – Phenobarbital – seems like an obvious solution, it’s really not. The side affects are pretty undesirable, the worst one being that it sedates the dogs and zones them out. Flash's unique personality is one of the reasons I love him so much; so the thought of having him sedated and not himself is a hard pill for me to swallow. Next week, Flash will have to go on medication no matter what for about a month, so they can 100% say that epilepsy is the cause of his tremors. After that, it’s up to us whether we keep him on it; a decision that doesn’t rest easy with me.
If you can’t tell, I have this enormous pride in being able to call Flash my pet. And I really am proud. I swell up whenever someone mentions how beautiful he is, or how cool he is. He is cool.
So, it’s been a long week. I am pretty much unfocused on anything other than Flash. I will get in my workouts as I can, but they just aren’t my priority this week. My buddy Flash is.

Oh I love his big brown eyes!! I hope you can come to a decision that you are happy with. I hate when animals are sick...they are like kids and are just so helpless! Many good thoughts and well wishes headed Flash's way!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Erin, and what a beautiful and cool dog Flash is! I truly hope that everything works out and you get some peace with this situation! Good luck and well wishes to Flash!
ReplyDelete