Monday, August 8, 2011

Nice little weekend

Although I am not sure how it can already be Monday, here we are again. I had a nice little weekend, finding a good balance between hard work and fun. I got some quality workouts in, while also spending some quality time with my husband - which is in my book a win-win.

Friday Night: Dan cooked dinner and we watched 'The Goonies.' I'm trying to decide on a movie to show for our Movie in the Park Event at work in October that is in conjunction with our Halloween Hay Ride and Carnival. Co-workers suggested this movie and were flabbergasted that I had never seen it...so I decided to check it out. It was a good movie, although I don't think it will be a good fit for this event. We're trying to attract the 'tween' crowd, so I need something more current...thinking Harry Potter or Twilight.

Saturday Workout: Up at 5:15 am so I could meet my friend for our 6:30 am ride/run. Another lady joined us, and I proceeded to bust my butt trying to keep up with her as she was a powerhouse on the bike. Our route is 23 miles out and 23 miles back for a total of 46 miles. I was riding at race pace - or faster - on the way out, but couldn't keep up with her on the way back. Definitely got me out of my comfort zone, which was good. Too many times on the bike I just sort of pedal along complacently without ever really pushing myself. After the ride, I headed out for an 8 mile t-run...it was hot...but I got it done.

Saturday FUN!: We went to see 'The Change Up' at the Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock. Great movie, I highly recommend it! I also highly recommend Flix if you haven't been there yet. Think Alamo Drafthouse, but nicer.

Sunday Morning: 11.5 mile run at comfortable (conversational) pace. I need get up earlier for these runs. I was on the road by 7:30 am, but once the sun comes up in Texas, it gets hot, fast. I actually meant to go longer, but my legs were pretty trashed from Saturday and the heat really started to get to me.

Sunday FUN!: We decided to check out brunch at a restaurant in Austin that we had never been to called Fonda San Miguel. Dan found in it a google search and it received rave reviews for its brunch. While the food (brunch buffet) was magnificent, we learned a valuable lesson: always ask how much it is before you decide to eat there. If the prices are not listed anywhere, and they do not mention the cost to you when going over the buffet (which was the only option), then it's probably very expensive. I was guessing it was going to be around $18.95 per person...the bill said otherwise at $39.95 per person. Ouch. A little more than we like to spend on Sunday brunch.

After relaxing the rest of the afternoon, I capped off the evening with an ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins, where I learned another valuable lesson and ended up with an ice cream cone the size of my head. Two scoops of ice cream in a giant waffle cone is a lot of ice cream. Lesson #2 for the day: one scoop on a regular cone will suffice next time.

This morning was a 10 mile recovery run. My goal was to practice running on tired legs, and tired legs is what I got. In all honesty, I actually think my 50-miler may be harder than my Ironman. At least if I try to run it in the desired amount of time I'm shooting for. Much respect to all of you Ultra Runners out there...

Hope everyone has a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that flix place was open yet...we will have to check it out...I wanted to email you and I have your email from the cupids chase race...do you mind if I send you an email??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely check out Flix! We were very impressed! Absolutely you can email me! erin.ruyle@georgetown.org

    ReplyDelete