Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Goals

I wasn't going to go a "goals" post, but there are some things I want to accomplish in 2012, so maybe putting them in writing will hold me accountable. So, here goes:

Fitness Goals:
1. Run a sub-3:10 marathon.

2. Train properly for a marathon. This includes actually following a training plan, recovering properly, and tapering before the big race. This also means not racing every weekend. I've never really followed a training plan, tapered, nor had an "A" race marathon where I was specifically was chasing a particular goal. Instead, I ran what I felt like running, raced all of the time and hoped that at least one of the races would produce the goal I was looking for. So, to achieve Goal #1, a sub-3:10 marathon, I've done some research and developed a training plan from Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book. I looked at several plans, and this one seemed to suit me best.
Dear Pete, Please lead me to a sub-3:10 marathon. Thank you kindly, Erin.
I already had Phoenix R&R marathon on my race schedule in a few weeks, so I will be starting this training schedule a week after Phoenix R&R. It will different for me to follow a plan on a daily basis, and it may end of not being my thang, but I'm going to give it a shot.

3.Consistent Core Work. I go through phases where I am either incredibly consistent with my core work, or incredibly sporadic. I've see the benefits my running has reaped from core work, and I would like to make it more of a priority in 2012.

4. Try Yoga and Pilates. This, I believe, will also help with Goal #3. I am going to my first yoga class (a Yoga Core Class) on Wednesday evening. I also signed up for a 2 day per week lunch time Pilates Class at Southwestern. I'm incredibly inflexible and so I've always shied away from these type of activities, but I just need to suck it up, realize I'll look like a fool, and just do it.

5. Become a Better Swimmer. Dan's co-worker - the swim coach at Southwestern - has offered to help me several times with my swimming, and I need to take him up on it. I've always felt too embarrassed in the past to have anyone help me because I know my stroke is horrible but I am certainly not going to get better on my own.

6. Trail Run Twice Per Month.

7. Knock out a solid 70.3 race at Buffalo Springs Half-Ironman in June. Don't let that race course kick my ass again.

Non-Fitness Related Goals:
1. Eat out Way Less. Attempt to cook more. Prepare meals for the week on Sunday and have a plan in place. I am a horrible cook. I know most people say this, but it's really true in my case. I always see people post these great looking healthy recipes, but I'm not able to replicate them. And, to be honest, I really don't even like to cook. This results in us eating out a lot. Which wastes a lot of money. Every year we say we are going to quit eating out so much, and every year we fail. Maybe we'll have better luck in 2012.

Today, I prepared this lovely fruit salad so I would have healthy snacks for work this week. Betty F-in Crocker. (baby steps)
2. Eliminate Clutter. Do You Remember Life Before Social Media? While I appreciate everything social media has brought to my life, I have to admit lately I feel like it's taken over. I feel like social media should compliment your life, rather than compete in your life. I began using it as a task avoidance, it became dinner in front of the computer rather than with my husband, and was honestly leaving me absent from 'real life' at times. It makes me head hurt sometimes. I recently deleted my Daily Mile page as it had become the biggest time suck of them all. While I appreciate all of the encouragement, valuable insight and fantastic people I have met through the site, something had to go. I simply did not have enough time to keep up with the site. I also felt myself getting sucked into some of the unhealthy habits I see on the site -i.e. people competing for the 'most miles', those who go weeks without a rest day, etc. I really need to focus on my training, and stay focused on my goals. So, it was time to bid adieu to Daily Mile.


3. Volunteer at either the local animal shelter or with the Austin Basset Hound Rescue. Our rescues have brought such joy to our lives, I would like to give back, particularly to the Basset Rescue who does such great things for these dogs.


4. Have More Patience. Yeah I don't foresee it happening, but it's fun to dream big right?

Cheers to 2012 and achieving your goals!

8 comments:

  1. I can really relate to a lot of your goals, especially the not liking to cook and the mixed feelings about Daily Mile. Now that I'm not training for a big race, Daily Mile isn't as fun and it seems like it breeds that competitive feeling. I hate being on my run and thinking "Man, I need to pick this up, I don't want to post a lame time to Daily Mile!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck on your 2012 goals - I'm sure you'll kick ass in your upcoming marathons. At the beginning of last year, I deleted DailyMile for the same reasons you mention. It was redundant and the bigger reason for me was I was comparing myself to others...not in a good way! Good luck on the cooking. I actually enjoy it and while it is often cheaper, I will say sometimes in cooking for two it can even out with some things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *tear* Not gonna lie, I'm going to miss you on DM. There are only a dozen or so people whose workouts I look forward to following, and you're one of them. I hope you like the Pfitzinger plan; I think it's the type of plan that really challenges you if you let it. Also, I love that you're still willing to hit the trails every so often (serenity.) If you and Dan are still up for The Woodlands in March, have him message me on DM. I'll give him all our contact info. Have a great 2012, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these are same great goals Erin!

    I am a bad cook too...but the more you do it, the easier it gets. I only do realy easy recipes and try to keep it simple!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never written down goals until my birthday last year and it really does help! A 3:10 marathon? Girl - you totally have it in you to run sub-3, but one step at a time :-) I really have gotten back into yoga over the past month and a half and it is helping me soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and I was going to say that Pilates class sounds fun! I wish it wasn't so expensive to join the rec center...since we aren't Georgetown residents it's like double. I need to set up a fake address and get a bill sent there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Goals! Good luck in 2012 and I hope to see you out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, now I see the reason you left DM - completely understood, best of luck in 2012, no doubt Pfitz will lead you to that sub-3:10, even it if is in a UK shirt.

    ReplyDelete