This is an extremely hard post for me to write. And, I promised my husband I won't make it a long one as it's our last day in Phoenix, and I am determined to make it a good one.
I've literally done hundreds of races in my lifetime. I've powered through an ironman, a 50 miler, countless races in god awful heat, etc. And, I've never quit a race. Never. I've never DNF. Today I did. It is an incredibly hard pill for me to swallow.
What happened? My body said no way in hell are you running 26.2 today. My body is a stubborn mother fucker. Today is not your day it told me. And, I acquiesced.
Earlier in the week I mistook some soreness in my hip/glute region as just soreness. I chalked it up to just soreness, nothing more. By Thursday, it was still lingering. Bad. By Friday I started to to think it may be a pulled muscle. I rested Thursday, Friday, Saturday. I took Advil. I prayed I would be good to go on race day. Unfortunately, I wasn't.
To be honest, today has all been a blur for me: all I remember is the feeling of defeat that came with pulling out of the race at mile 16. I remember the tears, the humiliation and the defeat I felt in not finishing the race. The race was delayed 30 min in starting - I could blame that. Say it threw me off my game. I could blame a lot of things. But, the truth is: there is no one to blame but myself.
I could say my injury is a freak one; but, it's not. It's a result of improper rest and recovery. I am stubborn and I do not know when to say when. So, i f you can take anything from this, it's do not as I do, but do as I say. Constantly pushing yourself to the limit without proper recovery WILL catch up with you. It did to me today.
I started out today just fine. Phoenix is flat and fast. Perfect for a PR. I was running the first 7 miles at 7:14 pace. Then pain hit. My hip/glute area was so tight that it was sending shooting pain up and down my left leg. My shins started to shoot with pain as well. I started to alter my stride. BUT Nothing was going to stop me. I could run through this.
I was wrong. By mile 10, I was in dire pain. A concerned police officer told me I looked very wobbly running - was I okay?? Sure, I told him. I'll be just fine. I'm Erin. This isn't my first dance with the marathon.
Mile 12 - I can't do this anymore. I am basically limping mile to mile and I am defeated. Unfortunately, the marathon and half started different places, so there is no option for me to turn off and run the half. Tears are streaming down my face. I am praying that this too shall pass. It did not.
I start to bargain with myself. Just one more mile. One mile at a time. You have to make it to the finish line.
At mile 16, I lost the battle with myself.
I made the decision to pull off at a medical tent and call it a day. I immediately burst into tears. A nice med tent aid told me "Don't worry, you made it 16 miles! What a great accomplishment." I was very thankful for her kind words, but I wanted to tell her, "I am Erin! I don't quit! This is not me!"
The ride back to the finish line in the SAG vehicle was humiliating for me. My husband was waiting at the finish line for me. My mom was awaiting texts via the tracking. They would be so disappointed. And worried. I let everyone down. I sat in the SAG van and cried. And cried. The very nice gentlemen who also DNF put things in perspective for me. He told me these things happen and I am my hardest critic. And, though I blew it off at the time, he is right.Thank you kind sir. He had run 50 marathons, and his words were very comforting to me.
There is no room for self pity after today. I have not treated my body kindly. I have not recovered as I should after big races. Eventually, my streak of good races was coming to an end - and today it did. All I can do is move forward. I will live to run another day. That's all I can ask.
Thank you to everyone for your support and kind comments. I am very lucky to have such awesome people in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow, you have a great perspective on this. I'm sorry this happened and I hope your hip/butt issue isn't serious!
ReplyDeleteMan Erin! Tearing up just reading. We never stop learning! You are amazing! Take care of yourself!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry this happened to you during the race. As you know I had to make the same decision in San Antonio and I know it is a hard one to make but I know if you decided to stop you made the right decision. There will be other races but you only have one body. Rest up and I hope you recover quickly. XO
ReplyDeleteErin, I hope you & Dan are out having a very nice craft beer and some Arizona-style Mexican food right as I type this. I'm sorry you had such a miserable time today on the Phoenix course, but you'll be back, stronger and wiser for this experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your race report. Rest up & recovery properly, you have some huge (and fun!) races coming up this Spring!
ReplyDeleteVery tough. You're such a fierce competitor, and I know this was very disappointing. As much as this sucks now, I know you'll be back, stronger than ever. Heal well, my friend.
ReplyDeleteYou know, when I went to the Army's survival, evasion, resistance and escape school, where the point was to make you absolutely miserable and broken, I realized that everyone breaks. Eventually. The key is what you do when that happens. We were trained to "bounce". Hit the bottom, and look up, and start climbing.
ReplyDeleteYou found the bottom.
Now bounce.
Go on now.
Sorry to read this Erin, didn't realize you were injured from earlier in the week. You made the right decision to pull out - there will be (dozens) more marathons in your future. And you know what I'm going to say from my own experience - injury is opportunity - to find out what our weaknesses are, and take the steps to address them, and come out yet stronger on the other side. Good luck in recovering - stay patient, seek professional input, and I already know you'll put in the work to recover the right way.
ReplyDeleteReally Erin I am just so glad you quit...I know it took a lot and it was the right thing to do. I am sorry you cried...I almost cried reading this post actually (sorry I must be having an emotional day!) I just know it's SO hard to quit and especially with this sort of thing, your mind says run and your body says no.
ReplyDeleteTake it easy and take care of yourself!
I hope you two enjoyed the rest of your trip!
Thank you everyone, so very much. I am humbled by your kind comments, and they are the bright spot from this whole experience. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Onward and upward :)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to read this Erin. If I can pass a little old man wisdom - never beat yourself up too bad for going beyond what is smart and logical. For the most part, because it never will change - Tiger's have strips and that's just the way it is :). Yes, it will cause some issues, yes you will have times you look back and say, that was stupid. But also, it's what makes you-you, and what makes you push and achieve special things.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I'm way jacked today, should not have ran, will cost me more recovery time and I may have made my injury much worse... yep :)
So sorry to hear about your injury and bad race experience! It's certinaly not your fault that you were too injured to complete the race. It happens to everyone if you run/race long enough. Just heal up and you'll be tearing up these races again in no time!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it was a very difficult decision to stop but it sounds like you know it was the right decision. I'm sure it isn't easy for you. Rest up and tackle the one that you really want!
ReplyDeleteErin, I'm a fellow runner up in Killeen. I came across your blog through Daily Mile and have enjoyed your posts. I'm so sorry to hear about this experience, but obviously you rock and will pull through!! I hope you don't find it weird that I would recommend something without having met you, but I had a really awful glute/hamstring issue last fall and my husband got me a Rumble Roller-one of the knobby foam rollers. I am not kidding you, it is absolute magic. It is worth the money and you can dig down deep into your glute/hams/calves. It might be worth looking into if you don't already use one. I use it every day and it has helped so much. I tried a guy who did Myofascial Release (sp?) in Nashville and it was super expensive. With the rumble roller you can do it yourself. Anway, I hope you feel better soon!! -Meredith Thompson
ReplyDeleteHi Meredith!
DeleteThank you for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate the advice, especially from someone who has dealt with a similar type injury.
I had not heard of the Rumble Roller - just googled it and it looks like it can do some good healing :) Putting it on my list to buy.
Thanks again! And, if you ever want a change of scenery and want to join us for a run in Georgetown, you are more than welcome. We have several groups that run in both the morning and afternoon. My email is: erinusc2000@yahoo.com
Erin, I'm a tool and realized after I wrote that your post was from January..sorry!!!! BUT still, the rumble roller is amazing and I promise I don't work for them. :) After using it for a couple weeks I wanted to scream from the mountain tops: I AM HEALED!! lol. But seriously, I have recovered from multiple stress fractures and come back from two pregnancies...being away from training is a state of depression that only another athlete can understand and anything that will help keep us healthy is a big deal..hence my posting at the risk of seeming like a total weirdo.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your invite to Georgetown and I may take you up on that once my husband returns from overseas! I train at Fort Hood and have not met anyone up here to run with. Take care and good luck with your upcoming races!!-Meredith
No worries! I'm still dealing with the aches and pains from the injury, so I more than welcome advice - and, I don't think you're a weirdo at all! I've already looked up where I can buy one (looks like I can find one at the Dick's Sporting Goods in Pflugerville). I have the "Stick" roller, but the Rumble Roller looks like it would be much better for my type of injury. Thanks again! Happy training!!
DeleteAwesome! One quick thing I forgot to note-there are some nice tutorials on you tube for how to get yourself in the best position to hit certain spots. The key thing I found was, don't just roll out on it, find a knot and sit on it. Really let the knob on the roller dig into that spot until you can feel it release, and then you can kind of roll over the spot that you just released.
ReplyDeleteIt actually hurt for me a lot at first, especially on the IT bands, but after a couple weeks not as much. I also have a Stick, but this is so much easier to use, and a positive-you can also use it on your back! Good luck!!