Lately, it seems as though everyone and their mother practices yoga. I've been saying for months (years?) that I need to try it for myself. My resistance has come from the fact that 1) I am extremely inflexible, I can’t touch my toes, and balance and being still are NOT my strong points; and 2) It's hard to make the time among swim, bike & run to dedicate to yoga.
But, I finally bit the bullet and went with a friend to a Core Vinyasa Yoga class last night. I didn't have anything going on, and the first class was free so I had nothing to lose.
The verdict? I don’t hate it. I don’t love it either, but I’m committed to trying it again with a different instructor before making a decision. I’m hoping it will increase my flexibility. Since I currently have none, I’m thinking things can only get better.
Just because you are fit and in shape does not mean you will be good at yoga. I definitely had to check my ego at the door. Most of the postures are very challenging, I couldn't complete them properly. The nice thing is that you work at your own level. So while those around me held onto their feet while fully extending their legs in the air, I was happy to just extend my legs.
In case you haven't figured it out, I was not very good at yoga. Not even a little. I have the flexibility of a stick. My downward dog should be re-named what the fuck is that. The instructor asked if she could touch me so she could try and position me in the correct position, but my body just wasn't having it. I feel like I'm whatever level comes before beginner. I probably need a remedial class.
I also had trouble with the whole mind-body connection. I attempted to practice focus and meditation and my body and mind are like "practice something else like eating or sleeping". I tend to get bored easily and my mind wanders a lot. But, maybe I just need to work harder at it. I can't say I gave it my best effort to make the mind-body connection, as for half of the class I was trying to figure out how to get into the correct pose. And, a lot of times I realized I was holding my breath. Which is definitely a yoga no-no.
One thing that did strike a chord, however, is something the instructor said repeatedly throughout the class: "Let go of the actions and behaviors which no longer serve you”. I immediately thought she was referring to my love affair with good beer, on-line shopping, sugary candy, and reality television. But as the words sit with me now, I think it’s deeper than that. I think, for me anyway, it’s about letting go of that comfortable but harmful thought pattern of not doing enough, or being enough, or doing it right, or not doing it like everyone else does it. Basically, I need to shut the hell up. I AM enough.
So, yoga, I'll be back. And, hopefully next time I'll bring my A game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hahah. Don't be hard on yourself! And definitely don't think of it as a competition or a place where you need to bring your A game.
ReplyDeleteThe best yoga instructor I ever had told me to try and improve by 1% every time you go. Big leaps and bounds are tough in Yoga. Just worry about the breathing and what you're doing, and the meditation part will fall into place later.
Thanks, Monica! You're right - I shouldn't think of it as a competition (different mind set for me) and enjoy the quiet "me time". I'm looking forward to trying it again soon! I think it will definitely compliment my running well.
ReplyDeleteHaha! "My downward dog should be re-named what the fuck is that." I was the same way when I started up again. My first couple classes were OK - not great, but the longer I stick with it and the more consistent I make my practice, the more I love it. There are days when it gets annoying. Type As? Patient? Doing nothing? The person leading the class makes a huge difference. Good for you for trying it.
ReplyDeleteI had the same initial response to yoga, but it did get better. It was really good to do when I was pregnant (if that appeals to you at all). Once you get the hang of the "flow" the classes get more fun.
ReplyDeleteYeah for yoga. I had never done a class (shocking since it should be my thing...I am not the best athlete out there, but I can stretch...actually reach most of the time...with the best of them), but there aren't any convenient places by.
ReplyDeleteMy theory on the mind thing, let it wonder...once you know you won't fall over. It is a time to just let go. At one class I started thinking about all the things I had to do and ended up in a catnap.
Just like any excersice, it will get better. Maybe not to a love, but certainly better.
You did great Erin! My first classes were laughable and I really couldn't keep up with any of the moves. The DVD will help you learn the terms and the poses.
ReplyDeleteYou become better at it just like anything. And it really does help with a lot of things. Back pain, tight muscles, and it always relaxes me a little...which I tend to need since I am so neurotic!
I'm curious as to why you feel you need to be more flexible. You haven't, as far as I know, been injured. I tend to agree with the school of thought (supported by some research, though I can't vouch for the thoroughness of the studies) that suggests runners need to be just flexible enough to avoid injury, and that to be more flexible may provide more harm than good (or, at least, very little benefit).
ReplyDeleteIs the desire to do yoga an example that you described - the harmful thought pattern of trying to do even more? If it doesn't work for you, I wouldn't fight to make it do so - spend your time on the core work you've mentioned instead. That may give a better return on investment.
Just my two cents, of course.
Thanks guys for the encouragement, support and good advice. Much appreciated! Greg - you bring up some good points. I have not been injured ever (knock on wood) and just assumed greater flexibility = better runner, however I see that may not be the case. I'm glad I tried it (instead of repeatedly just saying I would and never following through) - but, you're right - if it's not right, no need to force it.
ReplyDeleteLove this post Erin! Huge props to you for going out of your comfort zone and trying something new! I have tried many styles of yoga and find many benefits in them all but the one that finally got me to quiet my mind was Bikram. The added element of heat made a really big difference for me. It was the first thing that really forced me to be in the present. Good luck on this journey! I know it's really helped my running...and not just physically.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete