Hi there. Meet my new best friend. His name is swimming pool.
![]() |
| This is not me. I look 10x worse swimming. |
Although it doesn't provide the same high as running, I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. And, I've noticed that I am swimming a few seconds per 100 yds faster than I have before - probably because I am fresher, as opposed to throwing in a swim after a hard run. AND, my leg is starting to feel better. That's the best news.
I will say, I'm feeling a little lost heading into the weekend without any runs - particularly a long run - planned. I feel like I don't know what to do with myself. However, my choices are pretty simple: do nothing or swim. So, swim it will be. I decided since I can't run a 5k tomorrow, I am going to try to swim a 5k. It may take me all damn morning to do it, but I am going to give it a try. If you haven't heard from me by 1 pm, I've probably drowned.
Now that I am an expert swimmer (sarcasm, folks) I will list a few swimming observations from the past few mornings at the Recreation Center and afternoons at Southwestern:
- The scenery stinks. Same black line all the time. Never changes. The only thing that can make it interesting is the swimmers in the lanes nearby. I know it isn’t what I should be doing but I get bored and my ego makes every lap turns into a throw-down even if the guy two lanes over is only working with a kickboard.
- I can’t dance. No rhythm. Swimming is series of intricate movements that must be performed perfectly. Toes pointed, hands cupped, extending my stroke as far as I can, use high elbows, rotate your hips(but not too much), don’t cross your arms, and oh yeah breathe. I feel like I’m performing an exotic Latin dance while wearing snow boots.
- Dry Skin. This is the worst part. Even after showering and moisturizing immediately after wards, I can feel my skin being pulled tight as moisture in my skin suddenly disappears. I spend the rest of the day scratching my poor dry dead skin.
- The nice chlorine smell that permiates from your skin the rest of the day.
- With swimming, technique is much more of a factor in times then pure physical fitness. This irritates me.
- Goggle eyes. I've tried so many different types of goggles, it isn't even funny. If I wear them loose, they leak. If I wear them to actually keep water out, I walk around looking like an owl or looking like someone has beat me up all day.


Good job on the swimming, maybe this is kind of a blessing in disguise for you...aren't you doing an ironman later this year?
ReplyDeleteI think it's so funny you are "racing" other people at the pool! I can just picture it! But I understand it's hard to do loops running and see the same thing, I am sure it's the same with swimming!
And I seriously can't dance either so I would be such a crappy swimmer, it would be a huge learning curve for me!
I do agree it's probably a blessing in disguise. My swimming needs work, and I have a half-ironman in June. Maybe this time I won't be one of the last ones out of the water!!
DeleteThe sad part about racing people is when the guy using the kick board actually beats me to the other end of the pool. Le sigh.
You are a swimming machine! I feel like I'd enjoy the pool a lot more if I could find a salt water pool and avoid that horrible chlorine!
ReplyDeleteAwesome job Erin! About the goggle marks...I've tried it all as well. I even talked with other swimmers and have been told that my marks stay all day (no joke...all frickin day) because I lack fat in my face. Well, OK then.... :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Cristal! Man - I'm the same way with goggle marks - they seem to stick around until the latter part of the day. Several times co-workers have asked me if I am all right because the marks make it look like I've been crying!
DeleteMiss you on DM, but glad I can still follow you here! Have you tried slathering on lotion about 30 minutes before you swim? I do that at home, drive to the pool and swim. I'm sure the pool managers hate it, but my comfort is way more important to me!
ReplyDeleteHappy swimming! :-)
~Amelie
Hi Amelie! I hope you are doing well! Thanks for the lotion tip - that's a really good idea I haven't thought of. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Have a great day!
Delete