Race week is here, and our mini-vacation couldn't come at a better time. I'm completely overloaded at work right now with planning one of my work events -Cupid's Chase 5k- and trying to get our massive Spring brochure done and back from the printer by February 1. So, I'm ready to get out of town for a few days, relax and run Marathon #18 - the Phoenix Rock & Roll Marathon. I've never been to Phoenix - or Arizona for that matter - and am excited about checking out the area, and of course, running. Side note: if anyone has any recommendations of good places to eat, visit, see etc. please let me know!!
This is my first race since JFK 50 on Nov. 19, so I don't really have a plan. My training since then has been spotty, and with the holidays just behind me, I am not sure what I am capable of for 26.2 this weekend. I am going to do my best, of course, I'm just not sure what my best is right now. My plan is to use this race as a base for Boston to see where I'm at with my training and what I need to work on. I'm taking a week recovery after Phoenix before starting my Pfitz Boston Training plan on Jan. 23. The weather should be nice in Phoenix and the course flat, so I have that going for me. I think I am capable of running a 3:15 this weekend, so I will pace myself accordingly to start off the race and re-access the situation at the half-way point if need be. Side note: I'm a little annoyed with Rock & Roll. This is the second race lately (first being San Antonio) I've run of theirs where the fastest pace group for the marathon is 3:30. What happened to the 3:10, 3:15 and 3:20 pace groups? I would have appreciated the opportunity to run with the 3:15 group but guess I'm on my own :)
If you wish to track me, you can receive text updates on your phone by registering HERE. This information really is for you, Mom, as I'm sure no one else is in dire need of my race results. :) My bib # is 1218.
This week will be pretty easy workout wise for me, as I'm mini-tapering this week [my own version of taper; I'll use a real one for Boston. Pinky promise]. I ran 7 miles easy this morning with strides, tomorrow will be some 2k repeats at marathon goal pace, Wednesday 7 miles with 2 @ marathon goal pace, Thursday 5 easy, Friday swim, Saturday rest.
Phoenix here I come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your number 1 fan is signed up for text alerts. Mom and Dad will be rooting for you.
ReplyDeleteSounds like the break couldn't come at a better time! I wonder what is up with the lack of those pace groups. I will be running the 1/2 on Sunday. I've never been to Arizona either so it should be fun!! Good luck and maybe I will see you out there....then again, I am certainly not as fast as you so maybe not! :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck to you, Jodi!! My husband is running the half as well - I've heard great things about both races. :) Please say hi if you see me, and have a great race!
ReplyDeleteYou know you're a fast runner when....you're faster than the fastest pace group :)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the time away and the marathon. I've never been to Phoenix either but the picture of it in my head is beautiful and sure there are lots of interesting things to see...hopefully including some of the course!
ReplyDeleteNot sure of where everything is. I can't even remeber what city I was actually in. But I visited several years ago. We spent a day going around Sedona (did I spell that right?). Beautiful rocks. It was a car thing, so not lots of walking.
ReplyDeleteGood luck. I am sure your competitiveness will come out and spring you fast.
Erin - best of luck to you out there in AZ this weekend. I think that this race comes at a great time to develop a solid plan for the next 12 weeks to Boston.
ReplyDeleteRun strong, run smooth, run even and I think you might very well surprise yourself out there. If you were ever going to run a little conservative for the first 6-8 miles, this would be the race to do it in citing all the reasons above in your post.
Run that last 10K like you mean it, and I think you'll be happy with your time for sure.
Godspeed, can't wait to follow along!