This week was a [much needed] step back week, and one where I ended up taking an extra unplanned rest day from running. I hate missing workouts, and coupled with the fact that I am one of the most stubborn people on earth, it was really hard for me to wave the white flag and not run Thursday's scheduled 6 miles.
I felt off all week - extremely tired, heavy legs, a little feverish and I wasn't hitting paces on my runs. Combine this with a stressful work week, and come Wednesday evening I was not a fun person to be around [sorry people].
Originally I was just going to skip run group on Thursday since a track workout was on tap. I knew if I went I wouldn't take it easy because I just don't have the capability to do that in a group setting. So, I decided I would just run easy on my own. Because heaven forbid I miss the 6 miles. I ended up making (what I think was the smart call) and bagged the run completely on Thursday. As much as I beat myself up and feel "wimpy" for skipping a workout, sometimes you just need to know when to say when. And, I will say I felt much, much better for the rest of the week's workouts after lying low on Thursday.
Yesterday I completed my longest run of the cycle and this week is my last high mileage week at 68 miles before taper. I've never been a fan of taper (and to be honest have never really tapered before) but I can honestly say I'm ready for it. I'm plum tired.
Last week:
Monday: 2,600 yd swim/45 min core
Tuesday: (AM) Run Group - 10.59 miles; (PM) 2,500 yd swim
Today's workout was a 6 mile tempo run at half-marathon pace with 30 second bursts at 5k pace every 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I felt like I was running much faster than I actually was. My garmin kept beeping at me to speed up, and I actually screamed at it once "Shut Up!!!!". Some good hills on this course but still I felt like I should have turned out a better effort.
-6.29 mile tempo in 45:33/7:15 avg pace
Wednesday: (AM) 13.06 miles @8:24 pace. (Lunch) 2,600 yd swim
Thursday: (Lunch) 2,500 yd swim
Friday: (AM) 5.04 miles @7:32 pace - easy run with 30 sec pickups. (Lunch) 2,700 yd swim
Saturday: Bartlett 5k - 5.66 miles (combined warm-up and cool down); 3.1 mile race; 2,000 yd swim
Sunday: 22.1 miles @8:12 pace. First 6.5 miles solo, ran the rest with Mick and Rain.
Total running miles: 59.55
Swimming x 6
Core workout x 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow, yes you do deserve a rest sometimes! It always amazes me that you can get such long runs done during the week!
ReplyDeleteI bet your body will enjoy the taper, even if you don't :)
ReplyDelete