I ran this race last year, finishing in 19:22 and setting the course record and also running which for me was a PR at the time. Setting the course record earned me $100 last year, and so I went back this year to see if I could break my own record.
As I did, obviously, but so did two very other talented ladies, which is fine by me - I would much rather run against better competition who push me to push myself, then have the easy road. You become a better runner but running with those faster than you.
The coolest thing about this race (other than the nice cooler weather that blew into Central TX yesterday) was the 3 of the top 4 finishers in this race were WOMEN. I think that's freaking awesome. The top two overall runners were women, a fellow male runner I know was third, and I was 4th overall.
The second place female, Meredith, I had met at a race back in June (as she dusted me), and it was really nice to see her again and have someone to chase after. We're both from Northern Virginia and it's always exciting for me to meet someone from back home. The overall winner, was Chris Kimbrough, a local Austin elite runner, who I have always been in awe of. She's a master's runner and also a mother of FIVE who dominates not only the Austin racing scene but also is a strong competitor in the national scene.
Today was a good day for me, not only because of the PR, but because I was really inspired this morning by these two women. I had the opportunity to chat and cool down with them afterwards, and it was really nice to hear their stories. Both are mothers with busy lives, both are talented and super fast. It was really an honor to race with them and inspired me to keep working hard. I'll admit it was a rough week for me with work and workouts, and I've been Debby Downer this week. Today was what I needed to get my fire back. Had they not been there, I would have been lazy, and I would have coasted, but as corny as it sounds they really pushed me to be the best I could be today. I wish I could have that kind of kick in the pants every day!!
I'm looking forward to my next 5k in November (which I'd never thought I'd say - because, well, I've never looked forward to 5ks) to see if I can set a new PR!
| The Winnings: Coffee Cup & Jelly Beans. The key to my heart :) |

Very nice job! I am in awe of your speed.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I can channel some this morning through Philly.
See you in B-more.
I'm rooting for you today!! :)
DeleteYES! I love this news- for your fast PR, Chris Kimbrough's OVERALL win, and that 3 of the top 4 were women. This makes me proud. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ingrid! I hope you had great runs this weekend. See you at the Relays next Sunday :) Have a good week!
DeleteHi Erin, Yesterday was awesome!! I had a great time and really wish I lived closer to you guys. I told my husband that the PR is great, but I think I was more excited to be able to talk running with two truly hard core athletes. Then he pointed out that I am an old bag and should be really happy that I am still setting PR's at 34. He has a good point! So here's to us old bags, still trucking along, lol. Yay for your longest run being over! See you at IBM!!-Meredith
ReplyDeleteI was seriously in the best mood all day yesterday (I even cleaned the house and that NEVER happens). It wasn't because of the PR, but because I had the opportunity to hang out with two like-minded female athletes. You both inspire me! Congrats on your PR!!
DeleteOh yes, my husband likes to remind me of my Old Hag status as well. How did that happen? Seriously, it feels like I was 21 yesterday. Ugh! :)
Congrats on the PR. That is blazing!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jason!
DeleteCongratulation on the PR and how cool that you got to hang out and chat with these ladies! Sounds fun, and sounds like just what you needed after a hectic week!
ReplyDeleteThank you! It was seriously what I needed after last week at work!!
DeleteMan, that sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you got jelly beans and that the women were representing at that race!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the PR (sorry it's so late!)
ReplyDeleteYou rock!!! Congratulations, Erin! I like everything about this race report and just what I needed for motivation. I hope to see you soon!
ReplyDelete