Sunday, September 30, 2012

Baltimore Marathon Training: Week 13

This was a very weird week of ups and downs. I started off the week with a naggy hamstring that made it hurt to walk. I swam Monday, then struggled through some crappy, hip tightening runs on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I was seriously ready to throw in the towel. I felt like I needed an entire new left leg. I could not get through a damn run without my hip tightening up, which triggered hamstring, foot, etc issues. I had a long run planned for Friday and went into it guard up.

Somehow, I had not a good, but great, run on Friday. I didn't think too much about it. But then I had another great double digit run with my friend Rain on Saturday. Two good runs in a row? NO Fin way. I was already signed up to run a 10k in Dripping Springs on Sunday, so I figured it might very well be a crap shoot. I really didn't care: injury has a way of really humbling you and making you BEG to the running Gods: PLEASE just let it be a minor sniggle. NOTHING SERIOUS. You'll do anything for that injury not to be anything major.

So, quick race report. I promised Dan I wouldn't kill myself as he accurately states that I am not capable of running a race without racing. Touche. I drove just over an hour South to race the first Annual Dripping Springs 10k.I swear to god I didn't put any pressure on myself, made even easier when Rogue Running rolled in with their Elite Team to race the 5k and 10k. Well, hello, talk about a wake up call: ERIN YOU ARE NOT THAT FAST. Which, is what I needed. Okay: so sometimes I get caught up with scouting races and racers and not focusing on my race. No good. I always need to be focused on my race.  There will ALWAYS be someone faster.

I was 2nd female, 1st ag in 41:38. I'm happy. Not sure that equates to a 3:10 marathon but whateves.
While (I am super picky) I have complaints about this race (no AG group awards) I will say I really enjoyed it. I was really excited to see Ingrid again (who I had met in Bastrop) and her man Steve...I came into this race solo (Dan traveling) so it was really nice to see familiar faces and geek out on running. They are both such awesome people!!!  And, you know, that's really what it's all about. The connections we make and the friendships we find. I will never be a professional runner, but I can enjoy and appreciate of the people I've met along the way..

Monday: (AM) 3,300 yd swim at the Rec

Tuesday:  Run Group - 8.5 miles. The workout was a progressive tempo on 4x1 mile looped course. Each lap was supposed to be faster than the last: Mile splits were: 7:03, 6:57, 6:54, 6:43
(Lunch): 2,400 yd swim

Wednesday: (AM) 7 mile run @8:04 pace; (Lunch):  2,150 yd swim

Thursday:  (AM) Skipped run group and ran solo again - 6.25 miles @8:10 pace; (Lunch): 2,400 yd swim

Friday: (AM) 17 mile progressive long run @ 8:05 pace; (Lunch): 2,220 yards

Saturday: 12 mile progressive run with Rain @7:59 pace

Sunday: Dripping Springs 10k: 3.80 mile wu & cd/6.2 miles @41:38

TOTAL MILES: 60.75

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, right? :) Fingers crossed it lasts!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Cristen. And congrats on Kerrville! You had a kick butt weekend!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to read that you're feeling better and kicking ass and taking names at more races :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 41:38!!! So fast, Erin! I'm sorry for not asking you about your time- I didn't realize you ran it that fast! Should you decide that you want to be a professional runner, I think you could. What's impressive is that you are insanely fast WHILE holding down a 9 to 5 real job. Congratulations! And good luck at the IBM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kind :) Thanks, Ingrid! Great to see you guys - and congrats to you both on great races. You are so close to sub-20...you can do it!!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the end of your week went better! Congrats on the great 10k!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin - first of all, congrats on a great race on Sunday! I'm happy for you that you got to "race" one more time before the full in Baltimore to know that your body is ready for it. Confidence in a marathoner is a dangerous race day combination Erin.

    You managed that little niggle very wisely and on race day - you are going to be ready to fly. Congrats again! (No AG Awards? Are you kidding me?)

    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! It felt good to finish the week off strong. After a rough start, it was what I needed.

      Yeah, no age group awards...that was a first!

      Delete