Thursday, September 20, 2012

Three Things Thursday

1. I'm running in the Austin Marathon Relay on Sunday on team "No Excuses" with four very fast men. It would be correct in assuming that I will be the weak link on the team, and to be honest, I'm both nervous and a bit stressed out about it. The race consists on 5 legs - a 12k, two 10k's and two 5k's. I am running the second leg, which is the first 10k. I've run this race several times, but this is the first time I've been on a serious & competitive team. Which, I welcome and I know it will push me to run faster. But it makes me nervous to be the slowest person on the team, as I don't want to let everyone down. I also hopefully was clear when joining the team that I am marathon training and therefore plugging this workout in as a speed workout...meaning I am not tapering for this race. I have an 18 miler on tap for Saturday that needs to get done, so I will do the best I can do on Sunday on post long run legs. Hopefully that will be good enough!

2. I think my next goal post upcoming marathons is to try to break 19 minutes in the 5k. I feel like I'm close (19:16), yet so far away. I'm a bit skeptical that I can generate the leg speed needed to break 19 minutes (I am not a short distance kinda gal), but I have also conquered many things in life that I never thought possible (sorry this sounds cheesy), so I can't write this goal off as something unaccomplished without giving it a shot. I've never trained specifically for a 5k so it may be fun to shake things up.

3. Lately I have been waking up hungry in the middle of the night. I've actually had this problem on and off for years, but had gotten to the point where I would just go back to sleep. But last night, I woke up just ravenous. So, I went into the kitchen and was shoveling jelly beans in my mouth at like 2 am. Who does this? Seriously. I don't understand it. I eat plenty during the day and always have a pre-bedtime snack around 7:30- 8:00 pm. Most nights it's a bowl of cereal. So why am I waking up hungry at 2 am?  I guess I'm just a fat kid at heart.

And, speaking of food? Do you guys eat before your morning workout? I apparently didn't eat enough this morning before run group because I was mentioning to a friend that I was freaking starving by the end of the workout and must not have eaten enough beforehand. He was surprised I eat before a workout. Do most people not do this? I call it breakfast #1. I cannot get up and workout without eating something. Usually it's a piece of toast with peanut butter and a banana. Today I was out of bananas...hence the hunger? Again, maybe I am just a fat kid at heart.

19 comments:

  1. I think you will do great Sunday! I bet it will be fun to race with such a fast team...and you are great at 10ks!

    And as for the 5k...You know I think you could get 19 minutes...but geez...5ks at that pace are pukish!

    Every morning before I run I have toast with peanut butter and a banana..I have to eat!! And some days I am more hungrier than other days after running. If I eat something within a short time after I am usually fine, otherwise I spend the whole rest of the day feeling hungry!
    And I don't wake up hungry....but I am not running 1/2 as many miles as you do each week! Your body probably needs it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat the same thing! I try to eat within an hour after running as well - usually a bagel and chocolate milk. Otherwise I get very jittery and cranky. Dan on the other hand always forgets to eat after workouts. How do you forget to eat? Foreign concept to me :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck on Sunday, and can't wait to see you nail 19 minutes on the 5K! For me, it's half a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, plus a banana and a cup of black coffee. I can't even imagine going on a significant run on an empty stomach! I know lots of folks do, but I could never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom -
      I have to have a cup of coffee in the morning as well before I run (sometimes two). I fear the morning I wake up for a run and realize I am out of coffee...I do not function well without it. I hope you are well and hope to see you at some races this Fall! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you will do great on Sunday! I can't wait to hear about it.
    I used to eat before I ran, I would never ever skip a breakfast or an after work snack before working out, but lately I've been trying to cut calories and lose weight and so I go without eating before working out and I'm surprised that it's worked out well. Not sure how long it will last now that my miles are getting to be higher and higher but we will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot of people do that. I am sure I would be fine - it's probably more mental/habitual at that point and the feeling that I MUST EAT! :)

      Delete
  4. I have a banana with PB, or toast and PB before a morning workout if it's a significant bike ride or run. I have not eaten before very early swims (did a 5:45am class 3x a week this summer, NOT hungry that early!) or short 3-6 mile runs and felt fine. Good luck on Saturday and Sunday! Go No Excuses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cristen! Hoping this nice weather sticks around - it's been awesome for workouts.

      Hey, I think I saw you were running College Station? I'll be there as well. Looking forward to seeing you. Hope you will be running in Longhorn gear!!

      Delete
    2. Yep! I'm doing the half. I will have to wear my Beef Team shirt but I'll have my Longhorn hat or something else on for sure! Its a great course through Aggieland!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! I'm looking forward to it. I've heard good things about the race. Plus, the word is it's flat :)

      Delete
  5. Depends on what I'm doing for the morning workout and what time of morning but I usually do not eat or if I do something small like a piece of toast and then eat the real breakfast afterwards! The waking up in the middle of the night thing - I went through a huge phase of that for almost a year. It was crazy but went away so I guess I'm eating enough in the evenings now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it's just a phase. I am sure half a pound of sugar (jelly beans) isn't the best thing for me in the middle of the night!

      Delete
  6. I think you're going to do awesome at the relay!

    I drink milk before bed so I don't get up to eat at 1am. I have that same inner fat kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI ERIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure miss you on DM, but you aren't missing anything ;). 1)You are NOT far off from sub 19 and you will surely get it. Yes, you may puke or scream, lol, but all worth it. 2)you are going to rock the relay! Great motivation for sure. I doubt they think you are slow poke.

    I used to not eat before working out as well, but that changed and now I must have piece of fruit, usually banana, coffee, or bagel. I do hae problems eating after, which currently is wreaking havoc on my training and come back. One day, it will all come back to me.

    So I am doing the Run For the Water ten miler!!!

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina!! Hi! I am so excited to hear from you! We need to catch up at Run for the Water!

      I hope all is well with you. how are the kiddos? I am sure you are kicking butt and taking names with your running. Looking forward to seeing you at Run for the Water!

      Delete
  8. What was the temp when you ran 19:16? Knock one out in a few months and the same effort will put you under 19, no problem.

    I'm going to just go cry in a corner about middle-of-the-night jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the 5k I raced last weekend for the damn jelly beans. They were part of my award, so of course I have to eat them!

      Temps were decent. Cooler but humid. I am hoping maybe a Feb 5k with cooler temps I can dip below 19? Maybe?

      Delete
  9. I notice whenever I eat less meat, I get really hungry late at night.
    Also, just read your twitter feed on the side of your blog. I hope your hamstring feels better!

    ReplyDelete