By the way, thank you for all of your nice comments on yesterday's post. I actually feel better today - both mentally and physically. For the first time in two days, I don't feel any twinge in my hamstring when I walk. So that's something. I am hoping with a little bit more of continued rest from running, the strained muscle will be a thing of the past. I went for a long swim this afternoon and it was so therapeutic. I've really come to love swimming the past few months, and with the pool to myself, I was able to lose myself in my thoughts and swim away frustrations.
I came across the following image the other day and several of these running commandments really struck a chord with me. #2 is really speaking to me right now. As much as it sucks to hit a bump in the road and not know how long it may impede my running, at the end of the day it's just running. There's so much more to my identity than just a runner.
Anyway, last week:
Monday: 2,600 yd swim
Tuesday: (AM) Run Group: 10.8 miles. (Lunch) 2,600 yd swim
Good strength workout this morning.
Took my legs awhile to wake up - a bit dead legged from the weekend -
but overall ran okay. The workout was 4x200m hill sprints, 2k @ tempo
pace, 4x200m hill sprints, followed by another 2k pace at tempo. The 2k
loop actually had some good hills in it as well.
-4.11 mile warm-up @8:34 pace
-4x200m hills/1 mile/7:33 pace
-2k/1.27 miles/8:44/6:55 pace
--4x200m hills/1 mile/7:33 pace
-2k/1.27 miles/8:41/6:51 pace
-2.17 mile cool down@ 8:17 pace
Wednesday: (AM) 14 miles - Ran the first 8 easy, then dropped the pace below 8 min miles for the last 6. (Lunch) 40 minutes strength/core
Thursday: (AM) Run Group - 11.29 miles. (Lunch) 2,550 yd swim
We did 16 laps of striding the straightaways on the track at a solid clip (10-15 sec/mile faster than 5K effort) and jogging the turns for recovery. Essentially this was 4 miles of fartlek with 100 meters run at your fastest sustainable speed (not an all-out sprint!) followed by 100 meters of slow jogging for recovery. I felt good this morning. I am definitely not used to using that faster gear (which is probably why I over strided and irritated my hammy). I didn't keep individual splits for the 100's but my overall pace was 6:46 which included recoveries so thinking the 100's were low 6's/high 5's?
*4.56 mile warm-up @8:18 pace
*4.05 mile fartlek/27:24/6:46 avg for the workout
*2.68 mile cool down @8:22 pace
-4.11 mile warm-up @8:34 pace
-4x200m hills/1 mile/7:33 pace
-2k/1.27 miles/8:44/6:55 pace
--4x200m hills/1 mile/7:33 pace
-2k/1.27 miles/8:41/6:51 pace
-2.17 mile cool down@ 8:17 pace
Wednesday: (AM) 14 miles - Ran the first 8 easy, then dropped the pace below 8 min miles for the last 6. (Lunch) 40 minutes strength/core
Thursday: (AM) Run Group - 11.29 miles. (Lunch) 2,550 yd swim
We did 16 laps of striding the straightaways on the track at a solid clip (10-15 sec/mile faster than 5K effort) and jogging the turns for recovery. Essentially this was 4 miles of fartlek with 100 meters run at your fastest sustainable speed (not an all-out sprint!) followed by 100 meters of slow jogging for recovery. I felt good this morning. I am definitely not used to using that faster gear (which is probably why I over strided and irritated my hammy). I didn't keep individual splits for the 100's but my overall pace was 6:46 which included recoveries so thinking the 100's were low 6's/high 5's?
*4.56 mile warm-up @8:18 pace
*4.05 mile fartlek/27:24/6:46 avg for the workout
*2.68 mile cool down @8:22 pace
Friday: (AM) 5 miles easy, no watch. (Lunch) 2,250 yd swim
Saturday: 2 mile run...fail.
Sunday: 4,100 yd swim. I didn't plan to swim this long...but dang it felt good and my mood was a million times better post swim.
Total Miles: 43 miles
Looks like tomorrow will be another day in the pool. As much as I'd rather be running, I'm thankful for the ability to do something, to know how to swim, and to have pools readily available. How's that for a bright side? I hope everyone has a great week!


I'm glad you're feeling better about everything! I'm happy that you have fall back activities like swimming so you don't have to rest completely :)
ReplyDeleteMe too! :)
DeleteSaw your tweets and just now catching up on everything. Hoping that hammy is on its way to feeling better. Rest and some cross training should be good until it's ready to run again. Those running commandments are solid, may need to print them out somewhere. #2 is something all of us need to keep in mind. Get better soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Steve! And congrats on your training...you're killing it!
DeleteI am so happy that you have swimming..I know how it is not to run and it can be so frustrating!
ReplyDeleteDan is happy I have swimming as well :)
DeleteERIN! I just lover how you are so frank with yourself and everything else, and I love how you try to really put things in perspective! I was acutally in Austin from Friday until yesterday. Booo that I did not see you. I had crappy workout and only thing that kept me going on Sunday was watching all those people go by during the relay. I was wishing to be in it too! I think this is small obstacle you are dealing with and you will kick butt on marathon day! You always do :). YAY, I get to see you at Run For The Water!!!! I will be trying to chase you....like a minute behind per mile, lol. I have no pressue, but sure hoping for a 7:30-45 pace. We shall see. Either way it will be PR as it is my first ten miler race. Kiddos are GREAT!!!!!! As you will see pics on fb ;)
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you Nina! I am trying to keep my head up (while not stress eating everything in the house ;)
DeleteI'm SO excited I will see you at Run for the Water! It's been too long!