Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Baltimore Marathon Training: Week 9

Not much to see here, just a recap of last week's training. I'm just over a month out from the Baltimore Marathon - some days I feel confident in my goal to run sub-3:10, and other days I'm convinced it's unattainable. What's so difficult about training through the summer heat is that it's really hard to predict what your times would be in cooler weather (and I'm praying that Baltimore doesn't have some sort of October heat wave - cough Boston cough). I'm at the point where I am definitely over summer and training in the swamp and am just looking for some cooler days where I can put my fitness to the test and see where I really stand. Unfortunately, I won't get many of those before Baltimore so I just have to trust in my training and keep plowing forward.

Anyway...last week:
Monday: (AM) 10.26 miles easy @8:23 pace; (Lunch) 2500 yd swim

Tuesday: (AM) Run Group - 11 miles. Today's workout was a one mile on, one mile off up-tempo run - so we alternated one mile hard with one mile easy x5: 6:41, 8:10, 7:04, 8:07, 6:59. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with my splits, and it was harder than it should have been. (Lunch) 2500 yd swim

Wednesday: (AM) 14 miles @8:37 pace. The first half of this run I felt horrible, but 7 miles in I felt much better and was able to negative split. I think it's just taking me longer and longer to warm-up these days...probably because I'm old ;) (Lunch) 2100 yd swim

Thursday: (AM) Run Group - 11 miles. Today's workout was 600-meter breakdowns at the track, which was 4 x (600, 400, 300, 200) with 200m jog recoveries. Again, I felt like I was putting in a lot of effort for what I was producing.
600's: 2:12, 2:20, 2:25, 2:24 - ranged from 5:49 -6:24 pace
400's: 1:29, 1:32, 1:34, 1:34 -ranged from 5:59-6:18 pace
300's: 1:07, 1:07, 1:08, 1:09 - ranged from 5:55-6:02 pace
200's: :40, :41, :42, :40 - ranged from 5:37-5:44 pace
(Lunch): 2500 yd swim

Friday: 45 min core/2700 yd swim

Saturday: Long Run - 18 miles @8:26. One day I'll learn my lesson that 7 am is too late to start a run that long. 1600 yd swim

Sunday: 2 mile warm-up + 10k race

Total Running Miles: 72.5

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 1st in AG! I, too, made the mistake of getting out there at 7 am for a 13 mi traing run on Sun, and I paid for it. By mile 10, I was a hot mess, had to mentally push it just to finish. Next week I'm back out there at my reg start time, 6 a.m. Lesson. Learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh - it's bearable the first hour with a 7 am start, but after that it's brutal. I was greedy with an extra hour of sleep - lesson learned on my end as well!

      Delete
  2. Erin, your first paragraph rings so true to right now. Mixture of more intense training and the last little bit of heat before summer ends has made things much more up and down the past few days. Hopefully the Mid-Atlantic will bring great temps on race day for you. You'll be tapering before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve! Man, it's tough. I'm doing most of my longer runs a good minute/minute and 1/2 slower than my MGP - and a lot of times that's not even an easy feat. Makes it easy to doubt. Hang in there...I really think this heat training will pay off and there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

      Delete
  3. Hi Erin!
    You have put in some serious training! I'm sure you will get it! Do you ever run with pace groups? They had a 3:10 group back in 2007..they were by far the best pacers I've ever run with! This morning felt like heaven. I can't believe I ever thought TN or VA were hot. :)-Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meredith!
      You are SO right- Baltimore Pacers are the best. I ran with them in 2009 and PR'ed and I plan to run with them again this year (and hopefully PR!). They were freaking awesome. I learned at other races that all pacers are not created equal - I've had both bad and good experiences with race pacers.

      The weather this morning was DIVINE!!!

      Delete