Monday, September 10, 2012

Racin' Fool (or maybe just a fool...)

It's no secret that I love to race. Love, love, love it. I was having this conversation about racing the other day with Dan - he could take it or leave it. In fact, if I didn't sign him up for races, he might never race. But, I crave it for some reason. I don't know what it is about strapping a race number on myself and having a start/finish line, but if I head out on a run on my own, and it's likely I won't really push myself, but put me at a race and it's game on. I like to run, but I love to race.

This is the time of year I really love in Austin: Fall racing. There is literally a race every weekend, and upon a closer look at my race calendar, it appears as I've signed up for them all.

Starting this weekend, I have a race every single weekend through Nov. 11, which is the San Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon. Then I am off from racing until December 9, which I will conclude 2012 with the Bryan-College Station Marathon.

Let's take a closer look at the fun (craziness??) that lies ahead of me:

Sept. 15 - Bartlett 5k
Sept. 23 - Austin Marathon Relay
Sept. 30 - Dripping Springs 10k
Oct. 7 - IMB Uptown Classic
Oct. 13 - Baltimore Marathon
Oct. 21 - Cedar Park 5-miler
Oct. 28 - Run for the Water 10-miler
Nov. 3 - Jameson 5k
Nov. 11 - San Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon
Dec. 9 - BCS Marathon

Anyone out there going to be at any of these races? If so, let me know! Let the fun begin!

21 comments:

  1. Haha I love it! And Alex is the same way, he would NEVER race except for the fact that I sign him up. Every race I talk about doing he always ask, "am I doing that one too?" Cracks me up! I love fall racing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny - Dan always same the same thing - "Am I signed up for that one?" :) It's good for our bank account that he doesn't like to race as much as I do!

      Delete
  2. Hey Erin,
    I'm going to be at Bartlett too. I emailed the race director b/c I'm a dork, and he told me that the course is flat and fast, so yay for that! Holy crap, you have a lot of marathons coming up! My vote is that you are a sub-3 marathoner. You have the wheels and endurance background for it..I bet you have a huge PR this fall!-Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it - you will thwart my plan to win the $100! Haha :) I ran it last year - it is flat and fast (out and back). You will no doubt break the course record. I had it easy last year because the course record was previously 24 minutes :). Looking forward to seeing you out there!

      Delete
    2. I don't know about that...I have not been putting in the training that you have been! Look forward to seeing you too..we will push each other and hopefully come out with some good times!! -M

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you'll be there! You'll enjoy the race - very small town :)

      Delete
  3. Your fall schedule looks awesome! I'm mad to miss fall racing, but there is always spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It isn't just racing. You (and your family) are competitive...coming from someone who has witnessed you all arguing about MINI golf :)

    I will be running at the Baltimore race but not the marathon. I will do the 5k and kids fun run with Tori. My plan is to stay and see you and my dad finish.

    Enjoy all your racing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That is so true. There have been many "friendly" battles over mini golf. Looking forward to seeing you in October! Can't wait. And, best of luck this weekend in Philly. Can't wait to hear about it!

      Delete
  5. My schedule looks about like that... I think it's 11 races in 14 weeks, or something, and I'm a couple races in. None of the same as yours, though. I'll get down to BCS eventually, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you're just as crazy as me. Best of luck in your racing endeavors. I'll let you know how BCS - I've heard good things about it. And the weather *should* cooperate.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you have an exciting schedule coming up. In the words of Kanye, that shi cray'. Im with you, there is something about racing. So different from going out on a solo run. I think it just brings us all back to our competitive days as a kid when you would just all line up in the street and race to the next mailbox to see who was the fastest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree completely that it brings me back to my competitive days. I grew up playing soccer, so it filled that void for me once I stopped. And, I'm just a competitive person in general so racing gets me excited.

      Love that you quoted Kanye. That song rocks.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Looks like a lot of fun Erin! I told Vince we should think about running the Jameson 5k, it is so close to the house. I wonder if some of our runs in run group go over any of the route?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys should definitely run the Jameson 5k! It's one of my very favorites and supports a great cause. I think it's only $15 for SU students and $20 for everyone else. We've run every part of that course at some point at run group. We'll actually do an entire course preview one morning before the race!

      Delete
  8. I love TX fall races also - the best time of year to run! I'm signed up for a bunch over here in Houston. My husband is similar; he'll go along with whatever races I sign up for, mainly because he's too competitive to sit around while I race :) Looking forward to hearing your recaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check out some of the Houston races. The only one I've done is the Houston Marathon, but I've heard you all have some great races in that area! Good luck with your Fall races! :)

      Delete
  9. IBM... I'm looking for that black bib qualification for the Cap10K - :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Mick have that in the bag. You both have gotten so fast. Tell me your secrets!! See you there. I'm looking for that bib as well...course is a good one and it will be even faster if the weather cooperates!

      Delete