But, let me back up. After some hemming and hawing, I decided to move forward with my planned long run on Saturday. I had 18 miles on the schedule but was debating skipping it due to general fatigue and a race on Sunday. But, I realized that I needed to keep my eye on the big picture which is a PR at the Baltimore Marathon and not Sunday's race. So, I knocked out 18 Saturday morning, went for a shake out swim, and headed downtown to pick up our race packets for Sunday.
When I got to packet pick-up, there was a big sign that said 'Are you ready for some hills?'. I thought 'Oh Shit' my legs are going to hate me, but didn't worry too much about it because sometimes people's definition of a hilly course doesn't really equate to being that hilly. Unfortunately, there weren't lying. I thought the 10k I did in Lampassas was the hardest 10k I've ever done, but no, this one took the cake. The race was inside Bastrop State Park and the hills were like "small mountains" as a friend so aptly described.
This race sold out at 1,000 people a few days before the race. There was a 10k and a 5k and with the 10k being a 2 loop course and the 5k being a 1 loop course. The 5k was set to start 15 minutes after the 10k, and my immediate concern became congestion for the faster 10k runners on the second loop who would run into the 5k walkers. Turns out this was a very legitimate concern.
We arrived at the race start with plenty of time and I headed out for my normal 20 minute warm-up which I always use as a course preview. About 2 steps into the warm-up, I knew this wasn't going to be a PR course. Even with fresh legs, I would have been slower than my recent 10k times. A volunteer remarked that I was crazy for warming up on this course. Wasn't I going to get enough of the hills later? Well, yes I was.
So, the results. I was first female and 5th overall in 43:14 (6:58 pace). Despite a shoelace coming untied that cost me a few seconds and a near miss of the finish line, I doubt I could have come in much under 43 min. I felt a little deflated crossing the finish line and seeing a 43:xx on the clock, but I knew it was by far the toughest 10k course I've run. And, a friend who actually won the race, won with a winning time of 40:32...and this guy is normally a 37-38 minute 10ker, so times were about 2:15-2:30 slower....so, I am hoping that means I could run sub-41 on an easier course. We'll see in a few weeks.
Okay, onto the race itself. There were a lot of issues - I want to cut them some slack since it was a first time race and it was for a good cause, but feel they should be addressed for those considering this race next year. Plus, as a race director I am super picky about races so take what I say with a grain of salt.
1. Course Congestion: A 2 loop course with 1,000 runners and two different races going on at once (5k and 10k) was a mess. I flew through the first loop without any issues, but just after the start of the second loop, it became a mess and I was faced with herds of 5k walkers. Nothing against walkers - because I think everyone deserves mad props for being out there - but it was extremely difficult to navigate and weave back and forth through walkers, especially those walking 5-6 abreast, and not get frustrated. What really irked me was the water stops. I couldn't get water at any of the water stops on the second loop without literally knocking someone out of the way, and I didn't want to be that person. When it's a high of 104 with 99% humidity I kind of need water. They need to fix this for next year. The 15 minute lag time for the 5k made it even worse. Either start the races together or start the 5k after the 10k.
2. Finish Line: The finish line was an absolute shit show. First, I literally almost ran right by the finish line after being mis-directed by volunteers...and several people literally did miss the finish line as I watched with my own eyes. The volunteer was supposed to direct 10k runners who are headed out on their SECOND loop to stay straight and 5k and 10kers finishing their second loop to the finish. Instead they were saying "5k right, 10k straight (pass the finish). I know as a runner it's our responsibility to know the course but when you are in the zone and shouting out "10k where do I go" and they still mis-direct you, it's kind of frustrating. I missed the initial turn towards the finish but luckily after a deer in headlights moment, I realized that it must be where I was supposed to turn and it only cost me a few seconds (unlike others who literally had to back track).
3. Awards: The awards were also a mess. They did 5k awards first, then 10k awards and presented the overall awards LAST for both. So, I was dead last in getting my award. I don't have a problem with that, but what I did have a problem with is that they gave me the wrong award...and not to be greedy, but I was supposed to get a $50 gift card and they gave me a 5k trophy instead. I actually wasn't going to be a complete bitch and say anything, but Dan said I should. So, I went back up there and they gave me my gift card but had given my trophy to someone else. I'd much rather have the gift card over the trophy anyway, but still that should not happen.
My race: I decided at the last minute not to wear my Garmin for this race and run by feel, and I am glad that I did. After coming off a long run Saturday and wrapping up a big week mileage wise, I didn't want to be focused on my pace, I just wanted to leave it all out there, whatever pace that may be. I felt like I ran a solid race, and to be honest as much as I hate hills, I am a strong hill runner so I think that played to my advantage. With the weaving on the second loop, I know it was slower than my first loop, but I stayed strong on the hills up until the last one where I was just done and had to slow my pace.
The Good: Despite the snafus, this race ended up being a really good deal. They ran a one day special where you could actually sign up for $15. You can't beat $15 for a chip timed 10k. Also, with your entry you got a nice shirt, a free beer and a sausage wrap. Plus, I dig the $50 gift card to a running store that overall winners received. They had a big festival afterwards with a nice music line-up, and even though we didn't stick around, I thought that was a nice touch.
And that wrapped up a 72 mile week. Onward and upward!
![]() |
| Big nerd on the podium |
![]() |
| Oh there's the finish line... |
![]() |
| With friend Bill Schroeder, the overall male winner. He's sharing his trophy with me :) |
![]() |
| My #1 race sherpa! |





Great job Erin, especially with the course issues! First place is so awesome! I like your pictures and your shorts are cute! It sounds like a really good price for a 10k though, especially with the shirt, food and beer!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I can't take credit for the shorts - they were an awesome gift from a friend, I love them too :)
DeleteYou definitely can't beat $15 for a 10k - I wish more races were priced that cheap!!
I can't believe someone else got your trophy! Don't people read the plaques? Haha
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the race and I love that finish line picture!
Thanks! Yeah...I would have been madder had someone else gotten my gift card ;)
DeleteSounds like they were def race newbies, and hopefully next year is better...not that you will be running it next year! :)
ReplyDeleteNice shorts, they look great on you!
And way to get in your long run Saturday, your swimming/core/running has been quite impressive lately!
The shorts are awesome - you are the best!!
DeleteSuper job out there Erin! Sounds like it was a brutal course and a frustrating course to navigate - Tell Bill he might be in trouble repeating next year :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joe! Would have been a good race between you and Bill (but thanks for not registering so I could finish one place higher :)
Delete