It's been a shit day.
For starters, I'm not racing tomorrow. I should probably back up to Thursday. We had a track workout - that actually went really well for me - where we were basically doing a continuous stride session. We were sprinting the straightaways and jogging the curves - so 100m hard, 100m easy for 4 miles. I felt great, I ran great. But on the cool down, my stride felt a bit off. My friend Dorothy asked if I was limping? No I told her, I was just tired.
But the rest of the day, I was having a weird pain just above my knee on the back of my leg. Pain behind my knee (not behind knee cap, literally the back of my leg, the back of the knee). I told myself I was just sore. I woke up Friday and headed our for my standard 5 mile Friday easy run. I could still feel it though. The pain wasn't that bad, almost just bothersome. I describe it almost as feeling like my leg got hyper-extended. But I noticed it started to alter my stride. I told myself in denial I WAS FINE and would be fine for my long run Saturday.
Saturday I made it 2 miles before calling it quits. On both the run and tomorrow's relay race. I went up to Southwestern University, where my husband coaches, to see one of the athletic trainers. He says I've strained a muscle. And recommends no running for 10 days. My marathon is in 3 weeks. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of taking a couple weeks off from
running. I have the Baltimore Marathon on October 13 and I can't miss it. Technically, 2 weeks off still leaves me with a week (race week) of Baltimore, but doesn't leave me confident I can PR with that time off.
I immediately questioned the trainer when leaving. I told Dan 'Hey that's the trainer who always babies his athletes. Right? RIGHT?' So, I'm fine with just a few days rest. But, to be honest, I'm not sure. I know this isn't the end all. I know I can still run Baltimore and even drop to the half if need be. It's more abut seeing my family than the race anyways. But still - there's the part of me that is extremely pissed off and bitter. I've been a bitch today to my husband - who's only trying to help - and my dogs - and if you know me, something MUST be wrong with me if I lash out at the dogs, they do no wrong in my house.
While I will probably allow myself to wallow in self despair for 48 hours, I know I am not alone. It’s a shared experience. We have all been there, or are going to be there at some point.
We're big football fans, and I have watched many players get seriously injured during the football season. No doubt others are sitting on ice packs right now too. So
think about this… you and, say, dozens of NFL players (and hundreds of
other pro athletes) right now are sitting in whirlpools or on ice packs
or on some physio’s table, thinking “Ah, shit.”
I'm in good company! If it’s good enough for million-dollar
bodies, it’s good enough for me. No matter how much of a badass you
think you are, no matter how athletically talented or enthusiastic, your
body isn’t made of titanium. You’re soft and pink and mushy on the
inside, and all wonders of engineering have limits. That’s reality. And
it’s OK.
Check out the video below: I AM A MARATHON RUNNER. I AM INJURED.
If you've had a hamstring injury, tell me all of your secrets for fast recovery!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Erin - I'm sitting on an ice pack right now while reading your post!! So yes, you're in good company. I'm having some piriformis syndrome-like issues and am just a week out from the Kerrville HIM, so I definitely understand your frustration of having to take a race much slower than you planned, especially after you've been smart about training. Plus the fear of re-injury during the race sucks. Wish I knew some hamstring advice... I read a lot about sports injuries over the past week and the best advice (other than ice/rest) was not to stress and the body will heal itself faster. Who knows, but the mind is very powerful! Hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteOh no! So sorry to hear that Britt. I dealt with piriformis issues earlier in 20123 :( So freaking frustrating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Swim/bike didn't bother me - and after both run wasn't as bad...if that helps. I'll be rooting for you next weekend. Keep icing and taking care of it. The mind is always stronger than anything.
DeleteAlso, if you haven't tried out the Rumble Roller for piriformis issues, it was recommended to me and really helps. I also sit on a tennis ball most of the day at work and that seems to help.
DeleteThanks for the advice, I'll definitely check it out! I've been using a regular foam roller & tennis ball and those help. My husband is starting to think I'm crazy with all the devices I get (just got the Stick for sore calves also), but I try everything :)
DeleteErin, when I heard you were not running tomorrow I went to your blog to find out what was up. I have had the exact injury. I was very surprised to hear it was my hamstring. I won't tell you anything you don't already know. The most important thing I did was lay off. The rest is all the same stuff I'm sure you heard from the trainer. You won't loose fitness if you take a few days off and maybe get into the pool. I'm sure you thought of that too. I'm sorry. :( I bet you caught it early and will bounce back before your race in Baltimore. You are soo ready.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dorothy :) You are so sweet. I will get in the pool with you guys. I appreciate your note. Means a lot!
DeleteErin,
ReplyDeleteMy achilles flared up this week, and is swollen so I don't know if I will be able to make IBM, and therefore no Distance Challenge. :( Hoping to heal up in time for the ten miler. I was really sad to read your post b/c I've been there before a marathon and it sucks so bad. Especially when you are ready to PR. Hopefully 5-10 days and you will be back in business!!! -Meredith
Oh no, Meredith! Ugh. This stinks for both of us...and we were just talking about injuries last Saturday. Guess we should have knocked on wood! I hope you heal quickly!! Thank you for your note!
DeleteErin, 3 weeks is not an unreasonable taper anyway. Do you think you can swim, bike, and lipty your way through your taper, and make your marathon? Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Tom! I did get cleared for swim/bike/lipty so I think I'll be able to keep my fitness up. I have a good base going into it...that's the good thing. As long as the injury doesn't rear it's head during the race, I'm happy.
DeleteOh man, I'm so sorry to hear that you're hurt! I bet you could not run at all for the next three weeks and PR at Baltimore. Last year at Baltimore I had horrible stomach flu the week before and couldn't move without vomiting and still managed to PR without the critical carb load week :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kara! I think I'll be okay. My body could probably use the extra rest anyway!
DeleteErin - hate to see this. It's been a solid cycle for you and you are really primed for a great race in Baltimore. Fact is - and you know this - that if you are only down a few days to a week - there will be zero drop-off on race day. Even all 10 days off with some cross training in the pool and you're talking about a handful of seconds if that .... the weather on race day being 2 degrees cooler would impact your race more. So hang in there, don't do anything crazy and evaluate it in 3-4 days. Stay cool Kid! You'll be fine for the race - I know it. Bottom line, speed work gets us hurt .... it's a tough balancing act, but you'll bounce back from this one. Just try to relax and be nice to Dan and those pups!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joe! I'm actually feeling better today...hoping that means in a few days there will be no sign of a sore hamstring. In the meantime, just trying to stay calm. I'd much rather this happen now then 3 days before the race! Good luck at Kerrville this weekend!
DeleteOh yes...that hamstring. I hate it. This past week, I started going to see a chiropractor. My first ever. I walked in there limping, not being able to bend my knee because it was clicking and locking. I walked out with NO limp. Seriously. I was almost in tears because he offered so much relief. It's worth a try!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jessica! I'm willing to try anything!!
DeleteI hope you take the time off you need Erin.
ReplyDeleteI know it's SO hard to do, but it's so important.
And like a million people will say (and it's unfortunately no matter how much I hate it, true...) there will always be other marathons.
I know... :)
DeleteAh man, that stinks. I'm sending you positive recovery vibes. Just stick to the basic recovery plan for most injuries, ice, stretching, and rest. Maybe some anti-inflam's for first few days. Hope you bounce back quickly.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jason! I appreciate the positive vibes...I need 'em! :)
Delete